Casing Pen Questions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

DocStram

I'm about to try my first casing pens. I have the casing end of things worked out. I'll be using the casing for the bottom half of the pen. My questions are:

1. When making a casing pen .... I don't use the kit's center band, correct?

2. When turning the top half of the pen, I'm going to want the bottom end ...... of the top half .... to match the end of the casing's diamter, correct?

3. I shouldn't be using the standard slimline bushings for the bottom end of the top half, is that right? So, should I make my own bushing based upon the diameter of the casing end of the bottom half?

I know there are tutorials and a bunch of posts, I just haven't come across these answers.

Thanks for taking the time to help.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dfurlano

There are <u><b>A LOT</u></b> of ways to do this. What I am about to tell you <u><b>IS MY WAY</u></b> that I use to make these pens.

I do not use a center band.

I match the top diameter to the bottom. I usually use part of a casing on the top but it is not needed.

I don't not use bushings I measure using a caliper.

I use a 2018 arrow that presses into the neck of the bottom where the tip goes and protrudes through the back of the bottom casing. This adds support for the top and creates a nice tight fit for the 7mm tube so the tip can be press fit. I no longer use tips but I now solder in bullets.

30-06-upfront.jpg

bullet-1.jpg

Here is what I mean when I say I use a 2018 arrow, it is actually a 2018 arrow cut down in size:

1-arrow-in-casing.jpg

Here is how I gauge the length to put in the twist mechanism:

2-gaging-length-front.jpg

Here are all the parts:

6-assembly.jpg

Jerryconn

Docstram,

1..... Yes
2..... Yes
3..... I don't make any bushings, I just use the standard slimline bushing for spacing purposes only and use a caliper to match the diameter.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Al,

I use the perfect fit kit, with a 338 magnum shell (Just so you understand where the rest of this info comes from)

Using THAT kit, the standard center band bushing is the same size as the casing top, so I can use the standard bushing.

If you are using the more conventional 30-06, you MAY find the "comfort grip" centerband is VERY close to the size you want. OF course, the caliper is excellent as a final judge, but I THINK this will get you close. COMPARE SIZES TO CONFIRM!!! I haven't made a 30-06 in a LONG time.

I've seen people use a slimline bushing for the bottom part of the top barrel on a casing pen and it just doesn't look good at all. If you don't want to break out the calipers everytime you make a casing pen make a bushing out of a spare casing end.

JDPens

I recently did my first casing pen.

1. Correct

2. Correct
However, I turned a tenon on the bottom half of the top barrel to ensure a better fit between casing and antler.

3.I used the standard slimline bushing for the upper end of the top barrel.
On the bottom end, one of the <u>Baron</u> bushings (I can't remember whether it was a top or bottom bushing) fit almost perfectly, I think I used a .306 shell but it could have been a 30-06 shell.

Do check your measurements! We used digital calipers.
Have fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom