Casein shrinkage

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

carlmorrell

I made this pen about a year ago. The next day I noticed a small crack, and attributed it to sloppy assembly. Over the next few days I noticed the crack grew. I figured, this will make a good carryaround, if I lose it, so what.

I noticed the other day that there were gaps forming on the end. Disassembled it last night. Unaware that casein could shrink.

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

carlmorrell

Ed, that's what I thought. Casein is off-white.

I bought this from a vendor in England. He sells a lot of old stuff. Found him originally on ebay, he sells cellulose acetate, and some Conway Stewart blanks. I thought once it has color, it is called galalith, but Mike Shue corrected me yesterday that galalith is just the french name of casein.

I turned a material sold as galalith, and it smells like sour milk, just like this stuff. Would love to hear your opinion.

Casein - Pen Blanks - Shop

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
England is where casein is made--so I would assume what he tells you is true.

You say it smells, like casein--that is usually my first and most convincing piece of evidence--thanks for showing!!

Brooks803

It's definitely casein. I believe those in particular are called "Tiffany Casein" bc of the color and pattern. I've used those myself. Moisture is one of the biggest enemies of casein. So if you used water while drilling, or wet sanding it's possible it absorbed some and swelled only to shrink back to it's former size later on.

When I use it I sleeve and cap both sides to help resist moisture. Even really high humidity can mess with it.

Attachments

• 20160711_143730.jpg
    20160711_143730.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 208
Top Bottom