Casein: need to sound you all out ...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kaspar

... on any problems you might have had.

I've long been aware that casein is very porous and will expand or contract according to relative humidity. The original casein pen I did devolped significant gaps the points of contact with the kit parts after a while. I like the look very much, and I'd like to keep making and offering casein pens, but I am a bit chary about it.

I assumed that the blank retained a considerable amount of moisture deep inside, where the material was ultimately turned down to.

If so, could one let it dry out after each process involving significant stock removal (drilling, turning) and then drill out the final drill holes, trim to the final length, and turn to the final diameter, with a resonable expectation that it won't shrink (or swell) any further if it stays in, or is shipped to, a similar climate?

Would using CA to glue the tubes and put a finish on the pen effectively seal it at whatever moisture level it's at, preventing shrinkage (or swelling) no matter what?

Has anyone tried any of these things?

Kaspar

I did a search while waiting and I see some other threads talking about this. I wonder if we could use this thread to provide updates on "the state of the question" concering casein?

PaulDoug

I had never read these concerns about casein pens before and that is what I used to make a wedding pen for my Nephew and his bride. I'll have to ask them if they have noticed any problems with it. We live in a dry climate so hopefully not. One thing I learned about casein, when I had it engraved, I wanted the engraving filled with gold color. It wasn't necessary, the engraving came out gold color on it's own.

Have you thought about the alternative casein? I just read another thread here and it doesn't have these problems.

Top Bottom