Casein?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rsmith

Anyone ever try to make this stuff at home with any degree of success? I love the ones I turned, but as I was researching online to be able to competently tell a customer what it is, I kept seeing instructions for making it with milk and different types of acid. It's one of those things that makes me think, why not give it the ol' college try:rolleyes:...but before I stink up a kitchen with curdled milk and vinegar for an experiment that may be horribly pointless, has anyone tried this, and been able to get enough in a turnable form?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

penmaker56

I have made it, it doesn't really stink up the place, as PR does. It is not worth it to make it. It is very easy to make, and color, but the drying process is long, even with the 12 ton press that I was using. And if you do not have formaldehyde as a stabilizing agent what you get is unstable and very brittle. Plus casein is moisture sensitive, it will expand and contract with the humidity in the air. I have had Conway Stewart pen caps shrink and gold bands come off because of it.

chriselle

I have made it, it doesn't really stink up the place, as PR does. It is not worth it to make it. It is very easy to make, and color, but the drying process is long, even with the 12 ton press that I was using. And if you do not have formaldehyde as a stabilizing agent what you get is unstable and very brittle. Plus casein is moisture sensitive, it will expand and contract with the humidity in the air. I have had Conway Stewart pen caps shrink and gold bands come off because of it.

That is very good to know Richard. I may now consider NOT ordering some as humidity here wreaks havoc on all things sensitive to it...including me.:eek:

OKLAHOMAN

:eek:I just might have some problems as I've sold quite a few in one of the most humid cities around. :frown: Hopefully they won't expand and crack or shrink on the tubes. I did soak a piece in water for two weeks as a test after Ed had posted that it could dissolve , with no adverse affects.

RAdams

Banned
I have a casein pen that i have owned for a little while now (Since just after the last PITH). I recieved it on a trade with a fellow IAP member. It was spotless perfect when i took it out of the package. About two weeks after i got it i noticed a small crack. Now the small crack is a pretty big, very noticeable crack.

Dont get me wrong, I love my pen. I think the world of that pen. But knowing what i know about the material, and personal experiences will keep me from ever buying any. There are too many other cool materials to risk it IMO.

OKLAHOMAN

Very interesting, as I have many casein pens out there, I would be interested in anyone else's experience with problems, as of now I haven't had any, I'm even sending one out tomorrow to a coastal city but eventually will be used in England. I just checked my inventory of made casein pens both Emperors that are about 6 months old and no problems....
I have a casein pen that i have owned for a little while now (Since just after the last PITH). I recieved it on a trade with a fellow IAP member. It was spotless perfect when i took it out of the package. About two weeks after i got it i noticed a small crack. Now the small crack is a pretty big, very noticeable crack.

Dont get me wrong, I love my pen. I think the world of that pen. But knowing what i know about the material, and personal experiences will keep me from ever buying any. There are too many other cool materials to risk it IMO.

rsmith

I have heard so many conflicting stories on how this holds up. I have tried searching to see if there are different manufacturing processes that stabilize it in different ways or what the deal is. I hear it has a tendency to "bloat" when in the presence of humidity, yet I know that people have soaked pieces in water for weeks and months with no issues. I have heard it was used because of it's strength at the time, yet I hear stories about it breaking if you sneeze on it. Who knows, all I know is it really looks nice when finished:biggrin: so only time will tell what will become of them. I have a feeling that whatever process gets the lines in the pieces we use (lamination or whatever does it) has something to do with strengthening it?

but the drying process is long, even with the 12 ton press that I was using. And if you do not have formaldehyde as a stabilizing agent what you get is unstable and very brittle.
Richard, thanks. This is the motivation that I needed to not even bother experimenting. More trouble than it's worth. I'll just pay the 17.00 or so next time I need more:wink:

PenMan1

I make quite a few casein pens and have yet to have one come back. In Georgia, the humidity may reach 90-95 % in the summer along with intense heat. When it is very hot and very humid, I do not turn casein because some times under those conditions, it will develop "hairline" cracks during the finishing process.

I made a casein pen for my mother-in-law over a year ago and it is still holding up well. But, she never leaves it in a warm car glove box., etc.

Top Bottom