Carvewright uses??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

w5brw

I've been trying to figure out how to utilize my carvewright system in this new pen turning hobby. I looked at custom pen boxes and display cases, but they didn't satisfy the inner-pen turner:confused:. I was thinking, was to do a straight sided carving in a hardwood and then filling it in with tinted epoxy.
Maybe a piece of ash with a Chinese symbol in black. I haven't created one yet, but thought I'd throw out a line and see if anyone had any ideas or had some warnings or tips with the epoxy. I'm not into the PR casting yet, so I'm trying the tinted epoxy first. Hopefully I could carve the items into the wood then pour a PR on top and make something similar to the worthless wood blanks:biggrin:.

Ideas??:confused:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alphageek

Former Moderator
No reason you couldn't do this - assuming you can get fine enough.

I see there is a 1/16" inch bit... I don't know if there is one smaller.. Just remember how LITTLE of a item a finished pen blank is.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
I use colored epoxy all the time for fill in pens. Epoxies are typically not as hard as PR, so if it is a big area, it will be a little difficult to get the gloss in that area unless it is overcoated with another finish, but for smaller sections its not noticeable.

renichols

Carvewright

Hey w5brw
Have you been over to the cw forum ? I remember seeing pen boxes that some have made Lawrence posted a pen and box that his son made for his teacher. I haven't ask yet if he made the whole box.

Phunky_2003

I've made some pen boxes with the carve write. I have yet to attempt what your saying but think it would be possible.

I would recommend getting the carve tight chuck or rock chuck I forget what the upgraded chuck is. That is if your system didn't come with the upgraded chuck. It really does make a difference on small detail work.

Top Bottom