Cartridge pens-powdercoat or not

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lago

I recently started pen turning and being a shooter/reloader, I started out with cartridge pens. Many thanks to all of those that did the toutorials. They were a great help.

I gave my 1st pen to a long-time friend who has the same interests and he bought 10 from me to give to his friends. I gave one to the owner of a hunting lodge and when we left, he asked for pens instead of cash. Came out like a bandit that deal.

Anyhow, I have been spraying the cartridge/bullet with lacquer. I am not very satisfied with the final outcome and am considering powdercoat finish.

Besides powdercoating the cartridges, what else could it be used for. I don't know just how many more pens I will make and am wondering if it was pay off in the long run.

I haven't called around but I have thought about seeing if any outfit here in Central Texas area would powdercoat the cartridges if I had it setup on a rack and ready to paint.

I recall there was a post that someone stated that most preferred the cartridge left natural. Unless someone can give a good reason for investing in powdercoat gun, I will probably leave them natural.

Thanks for any advice.

Lago

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

snyiper

You can powdercoat anything you put in a oven....I toy with Rc cars and real cars and use it there when I have it set up. I also plan on doing fishing spoons...Besides it is a new tool !!!!!

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
One thing you might consider is the Blitz type jewelers polishing cloths. You could leave the cartridge polished but uncoated and they could wipe the pen as needed to help keep it tarnish free. It would also let it achieve a level of natural look yet clean and slightly polished. The cleaning cloths would cost 3-4 dollars each and could be included in the price of the pens. Just adjust your prices.

Mike

pfde4

So, the things that you powder coat don't have to be metal?

No, as long as they are warmed before spraying. Diffrent materials require diffrent temps. I have power coated wood before. pre heated to 215

Sylvanite

I routinely powdercoat my bullet pen kits. In all the times I've offered powdercoated or uncoated (at the same price), only once has anybody opted for bare metal. I accept that a few people may actually prefer the tarnished look, but I suspect most are simply making a virtue out of necessity.

To be honest, I've rarely used my powdercoat system for anything other than cartridges. I did powdercoat my mailbox flag (in red) though, and I bought some yellow powder in anticipation of redoing the fuel cap on my tractor.

Traditionally, powder paint adheres by static cling, so the item being coated needs to be electrically conductive. Powder paint won't stick to any surface that doesn't hold a charge, such as wood, or the inside of a metal container. One can often overcome that limitiation by hot-flocking. That is done by preheating the object such that the powder melts on contact and is held by surface tension.

If you don't want to invest in a powdercoating system, the next best finish for cartridge pens is DuraCoat. The materials are pricey though, and have a limited shelf life. In my experience, it is not as durable as powdercoat. You'll also need an airbrush to apply it.

I hope that helps,
Eric

lorbay

Lago, if you are looking for a powder coat system look on Ebay as Eastman sells their small system on there for $92, so thats under a $100 at your door. I was at my local store last week and they were $200.00 there. So I went to Ebay.

Lin.

sbell111

I don't powdercoat our cartridge pens. We've sold a ton of them and have had several customers come back to buy more. Would we sell more if they were powdercoated? Maybe, but I doubt it.

seamus7227

depending on where you are in texas, there is a place in the Dallas/Fort worth area in a town called Haltom City that will powdercoat your cartridges for a very reasonable cost. the company is called "PowderTek"

Top Bottom