Cartridge Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

avbill

Several people have asked about if I make cartridge pens. I really do not. but my resource people --IPA member --many of you do.

So My several questions:

one tutorial uses a 25.06 verses a 30.06 I not a gun expert so why a 25.06?

I believe that there are several of you that produce a cartridge kit could you identify yourself or them thanks

There are many kits available today verses yesteryear. Which kits are the better quality?

Is there anything I really do need to understand about the cartridge kits pens what I do not already know from making pen kits already?

thank for the information

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mrcook4570

You can use virtually any cartridge if you use the bullet for the nib. You can use the standard slimline nib with any .30 caliber cartridge. If you have a variety of reloading dies, you can use the standard slimline nib with many different cartridges simply by neck sizing the cartridge to .30 caliber.

lorbay

I buy the slimline copper kits and toss out the nib and use a real bullet. Drill a hole in the big end of the bullet heat it up with a heat gun and take out the lead and then drill a small hole for the refill. I also use 30-06 for the tip end and a 308 for the clip end. Also you can use antler or wood for the clip end.

Lin.

Sylvanite

one tutorial uses a 25.06 verses a 30.06 I not a gun expert so why a 25.06?
Personal preference. The 25-06 is simply a necked-down 30-06. That is, the major difference between the two is that the 25-06 uses a smaller diameter bullet. My own preference is 30-06 because I find the larger diameter easier to grip.

I believe that there are several of you that produce a cartridge kit could you identify yourself or them thanks
I do. See http://www.bulletpenkits.com.

Which kits are the better quality?
Mine, of course. :biggrin: Seriously though, I haven't heard anything negative about the cartridges made by any member here. Some of the eBay sellers are another matter. Look for someone who stands behind their product and you'll be ok.

Is there anything I really do need to understand about the cartridge kits pens what I do not already know from making pen kits already?
If you want to make your own, I'd recommend starting with a caliber that most closely matches a standard pen kit. That way, you have fewer modifications to make. A couple of good starting calibers are 308 Winchester (if you want to use a slimline kit nib) and 30-06 Springfield (if you want to use a bullet for the nib). Their dimensions make them suitable for use as the lower barrel of a slimline kit.

I hope that helps,
Eric

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Same

Personal preference. The 25-06 is simply a necked-down 30-06. That is, the major difference between the two is that the 25-06 uses a smaller diameter bullet. My own preference is 30-06 because I find the larger diameter easier to grip.

I do. See http://www.bulletpenkits.com.

Mine, of course. :biggrin: Seriously though, I haven't heard anything negative about the cartridges made by any member here. Some of the eBay sellers are another matter. Look for someone who stands behind their product and you'll be ok.

If you want to make your own, I'd recommend starting with a caliber that most closely matches a standard pen kit. That way, you have fewer modifications to make. A couple of good starting calibers are 308 Winchester (if you want to use a slimline kit nib) and 30-06 Springfield (if you want to use a bullet for the nib). Their dimensions make them suitable for use as the lower barrel of a slimline kit.

I hope that helps,
Eric
30-06 amd 308 both use the same bullets....and have the same opening for the bullet so I'm wondering why the 308 would be better if using a slimline tip....

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Yes I agree

You can use virtually any cartridge if you use the bullet for the nib. You can use the standard slimline nib with any .30 caliber cartridge. If you have a variety of reloading dies, you can use the standard slimline nib with many different cartridges simply by neck sizing the cartridge to .30 caliber.

I think there are a couple of other 30 cal cartridges that would work well enough but might be a tad short. 300 Savage comes to mind. If you were careful with what you did with the upper barrel some rimmed cartridges like the 30-40 Krag and 30-30 Winchester would probably be ok too.

jskeen

30-06 amd 308 both use the same bullets....and have the same opening for the bullet so I'm wondering why the 308 would be better if using a slimline tip....

I'ts not so much the tip, but a 308 is short enough to use the stock slimline lower tube, where a 30-06 is too long. That being said, I prefer the look of the 30-06, so I just order spare Euro tube sets and use the longer for the casing.

Sylvanite

Both use the same diameter bullets, but the 308Win shellcase is shorter than 30-06Spg. The 308Win case is about the same length as a slimline tube, so if you use a slimline kit nib, the parts all go together without any modification.

The 30-06Spg case is similar in length to a euro kit lower tube, so you can substitute a euro tube if you want to make a 30-06 pen. Note, however, that a euro nib is slightly larger in diameter than a slimline nib, so a euro kit nib doesn't work well.

If you want to use a bullet for the nib, then things are different. A bullet seated to an appropriate cartridge overall length (COAL) is shorter than a kit nib, and it is seated inside the case neck. You need to take both factors into account so that the tube lengths come out right. With the bullets I use, a 30-06Spg cartridge fits a slimline tube better.

All that said, I do prefer the proportions of a euro clip and finial with a cartridge pen. I mix-and-match parts of various styles when making my kits.

Regards,
Eric

Bellsy

I use primarily a 30-06, but the 270 is also a great choice because it is the same as the 30-06 in length basically, and it is necked down to 270. A few other good choices are the 7mil and the 300 cal

The 30-06 advantage is that you can purchase FMJ (full metal jacket) bullet tips which are easy to drill out for the nib and they end up looking proportionally correct. I solder my tubes into the casings with a special jig that can be used for slim line brass tubes without any modifications to the tubes.

308 casings require extra work because of their shorter body length, but like it mentioned above, you can make just about any cartridge into a pen. It just takes a bit of thinking and planning to accomplish it.

Dave

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Sylvanite's kits were a topic of conversation at a turning meeting I attended recently. EVERYONE who had used him said his products were "top notch"!!

And Eric has frequently shown pens on IAP that prove he knows what he is talking about.

And, yes, I make and sell 30-06 with nibs (not bullets) on Exotics.

Also Paul Sherman (PSherman) sells casing pens, made with bullet ends. He also was a strong supporter of last year's Birthday Bash, giving away several packages!!
(Sylvanite ALSO donated generously to the bash)

Last edited:

rherrell

I'm one of the very few who use the 25-06. I do it because the neck is a perfect fit for the standard "A" pen mandrel. This allows me to mount it on a mandrel when I do my sanding or any number of things.
I started making casing pens before I had a Beall chuck so I didn't have a choice. Now I use my Beall chuck for most of my work on a casing but being able to mount it on a mandrel comes in handy, ESPECIALLY for sanding.:wink:

Like Eric said, a 25-06 is just a necked down 30-06 so the only difference is the bullet for a 30-06 is .050" larger.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Interesting

I buy the slimline copper kits and toss out the nib and use a real bullet. Drill a hole in the big end of the bullet heat it up with a heat gun and take out the lead and then drill a small hole for the refill. I also use 30-06 for the tip end and a 308 for the clip end. Also you can use antler or wood for the clip end.

Lin.
I'm going to see if I can find an email I got awhile back where the turner asked me if I could sell him just copper tips, transmissions and tubes because he chucked the rest of the kits and buying separated parts cost more than a complete kit.

mick

Sylvanite's kits were a topic of conversation at a turning meeting I attended recently. EVERYONE who had used him said his products were "top notch"!!

And Eric has frequently shown pens on IAP that prove he knows what he is talking about.

And, yes, I make and sell 30-06 with nibs (not bullets) on Exotics.

Also Paul Sherman (PSherman) sells casing pens, made with bullet ends. He also was a strong supporter of last year's Birthday Bash, giving away several packages!!
(Sylvanite ALSO donated generously to the bash)

I've not used Pauls casings but have used Eric's. They are first rate! Well made and ready to go. All you need do is turn a upper barrel of your choice.

Top Bottom