?? Cartridge Pens ??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

A question about finishing the cartridge pen. I plan on trying my hand at clearcoating the cartridges so I was told in order to get a great finish I need to sand the cartridge. Well I tried that and came away with a mess. I tried using wet sanding automotive paper starting with 400 and working up to 800 and then using a brass abrasive polish but came away with tiny swirl marks that I could not get out. Then I tried another and used micromesh and this basically did nothing except burnish the pad.

My question is for those that powdercoat what is your method to get the cartridges ready for coating??? If you are sanding how do you do it??? What speed do you run your lathe at to do this sanding?? Help. I tried just using a brass cleaner and it left them relatively cleaner with no scratches except the ones from manufactorer. I am using unfired rounds.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sylvanite

There are two approaches:
1) Sand, and
2) don't sand.

Both are fine, it just depends on the look you are after. If you want a mirror-like reflective surface, you'll have to sand away the surface imperfections on the case before polishing. I might start at 400 grit if there are heavy scratches, 600 otherwise, and go all the way up to 1500 or even 2000. Cutting compounds and buffers may replace some of the sanding.

I don't usually sand. I'm satisfied with the look of a factory case. For the cartridges I sell, sanding would raise the cost. I just tumble-polish the brass until it is bright and shiny. It has more of a sparkle-shine than reflective-shine. If a case has stubborn tarnish, or if I'm doing a small lot and don't want to wait for the tumbler, I'll rub it with 0000 steel wool and then polish the brass.

Regards,
Eric

Sylvanite

Oh, and after polishing, before powder-coating, I rinse the cartridges in acetone. This removes any oils or other materials that might interfere with the powder paint. I'm careful to not touch them afterwards, and to let them dry completely (condensation from the acetone evaporating can also wreck a powder-coat finish) before coating.

Top Bottom