Cartridge Pen Question??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy_

I'm not into cartridge pens; but occasionally strange ideas will run through my skull?? I seem to remember some postings about folks drilling out actual jacketed lead bullets to use as nibs. Wonder if any have ever come back after being dropped?? Wouldn't think those bullet nibs would be as sturdy as a normal nib....on the other hand, maybe those copper jackets make the nibs real stout??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

timdaleiden

Originally posted by Randy.
<br />I seem to remember some postings about folks drilling out actual jacketed lead bullets to use as nibs. Wonder if any have ever come back after being dropped?? Wouldn't think those bullet nibs would be as sturdy as a normal nib....on the other hand, maybe those copper jackets make the nibs real stout??

I have not been able to find exact information on the composition of the outer jacket material. It certainly appears to be copper, or a copper alloy of some sort. I did find out that the material will mushroom out when it hits something solid at about 1000 fps. That would be one heck of a drop. [;)]

I have used only the .30-06 bullets so far, and they are designed to penetrate big game before expansion. To me, this material seems pretty tough. I am not too concerned.

its_virgil

Randy,
The lead bullets are often copper clad. I just posted a picture of one done that way. I have sold maybe 50 of them and not one has come back. The first one I made I use almost daily and have had no problems with it. Here is the picture again. There are some others in my album and also at http://www.tinyurl.com/38hor

200536272_new%20bullet.jpg
<br />
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Randy_

Thanks for the information. As mentioned before, I am neither planning on making one or buying one; but sometimes I just get a "wild hare" and can't let it go until I find an answer.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I believe there are definite plusses to using the business end of a
bullet as a pen as I also believe using a pen kit nib for the nib.
The idea of a slug as a nib adds to the novelty of the finished pen but it is not the route I chose to go.
First I don't reload and don't even own a firearm.The casings I get are normally hunters cast offs. I put the word out I was looking for some to experiment with and have had some "donated"
Second I don't have any machine tools, all my work is done on a JET mini.Though I might be able to drill trough the slug I doubt I could do it with precision on a constant basis.
I like the idea of the kit nibs because the way I make the pens, the components are used as they are designed to be used.
It may look like a bullet but the business end of the pen is constructed as it was designed to be constructed.
I use all tubes, The casing has a wooden core, not hollow.
There are components I may alter for diameter but normally they are left in for length when necessary.
This has required a little bit of research, not all casings have the right dimensions for the kits I use.I don't have any sizing dies for the casings as from the research I've done custom sizing dies are pretty expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom