Cartridge Pen Finish

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CountryPens

Does everyone put some type of sealing finish on their Shell Casing pens? Powder coating or Lacquer ? or just leave them to be polished every now and then by the customer?

thanks for any feedback

Lester

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

THarvey

I polish the cartridge, then spray lacquer 3 to 5 coats. Micromesh the lacquer finish to 12000.

I will also leave the polished cartridge unfinished, to tarnish naturally over time.

It depends on the end user's preference.

jskeen

I leave mine unfinished, but not because of some deeply held pleasure in polishing brass, just that I don't have a PC setup. However even if I did, I would still do some unfinished ones, as there are some people out there that prefer them to "gain character" with use. I also refer to this as "patination" when I'm selling one. :) I may try the spray lacquer process just to have it available if requested.

ribanett

Lester,

I have made about 200 cartridge pens so far. I make them both with finish and without depending on the customer.

After trying many brands and types of lacquer, I found StayBrite Brass Lacquer (from Woodcraft). Most lacquers will not stick to brass without primer or they will peel or flake off. I have been using StayBrite for over two years now with no complaints from my customers. I have used the same cartridge pen for over 9 or 10 months with no peeling or flaking and the coating has not worn off either.

If you decide to give StayBrite a try, be sure the cartridge is CLEAN, CLEAN. I wipe my cartridges with acetone and then handle them with gloves. If you touch them with a finger, the acids will leave a visible fingerprint under the coating. It may take a few days for the print to appear, but it will.

Hope this helps

jttheclockman

I powdercoat mine and have learned the process from Rick who has great tutorials in the library. i thought it would be a huge learning thing but it urns out not that bad at all. Just need the equipment and if you have a compressor which is the largest expense than the rest is pretty resonable. I am using the gun from HF which goes on sale now and then. Works just fine. I may try the Staybright lacquer one day just incase I need to make one or two in a hurry and do not have to set everything up. I do not like the tarnished look for I like the shiney mirror finish look. Good luck.

CountryPens

Thank you guys for the feedback. As I make more I will probably look into both the Staybright and PC.

Larry, I am originally from Monroe, been in Cal since 1975

Lester

its_virgil

I powder coat the ones I make. There is lacquer made especialy for brass and copper parts.

http://www.geminicoatings.com/p/12146/Default.aspx
http://www.woodcraft.com/product.aspx?ProductID=13B55&FamilyID=3260
http://www.constantines.com/browseproducts/Clear-Brass-Lacquer.html

Others are probably available. I've not use any of these products. Just passing on information.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Does everyone put some type of sealing finish on their Shell Casing pens? Powder coating or Lacquer ? or just leave them to be polished every now and then by the customer?

thanks for any feedback

Lester

Top Bottom