Cartridge Bullet Pen Woods

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DonFaulk0517

Many of you make cartridge bullet pens... what type of wood is the best looking for the pen? I was thinking Kingwood or Bloodwood, but would like to know what is the best looking. Thanks for any help.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chasper

I sell about 10 antler for every one made of wood. But if I'm doing a show near a military base I always take along several wood and casing pens. Law enforcement types also like wood tops on the antler pens. I try to make them out of the kind of wood that they would find on gun stocks and scales; cocobolo, walnut (stain it darker), kingwood, rosewood burl, etc.

KenBrasier

Antler (we call it Ozark Ivory) sells best followed by Camouflage PR. In our area any of the native woods go well: Oak, Hickory Mulberry, Sassafras, Maple, Red Cedar, Walnut

Sylvanite

Antler is always nice (especially for "my first buck" pens), but as far as wood goes, cocobolo and walnut burl are reminiscent of gun stocks and are very popular. Lignum vitae has a camoflage look and is good for a military theme. Other than that, anything pretty works.

Regards,
Eric

Jon-wx5nco

My customers want 1) Antler or 2) Walnut. I show them the other woods/acrylics/materials I have on hand. They don't even want to look at the other choices. I thought I'd never say this, but I'm tired of turning antler and walnut LOL

Mark

Just my $.02

In my limited experience, I'd say almost any dark wood. I've made several with camo acrylics and they went too. Brass on top and bottom seems to do well also.

My lighter woods (unstained Maple or Oak) are still in hand. :frown:

DonFaulk0517

Thanks to all of you... I've never turned antler, is there anything special in working with it?

Thanks!

ldb2000

Thanks to all of you... I've never turned antler, is there anything special in working with it?

Thanks!

Yes , get a gas mask , that stuff stinks . I guess I just have a weak stomach but I puked my guts out the only time I tried to turn it . My wife wasn't too happy either , made me get undressed and leave my clothes outside to air out .

mick

I use Antler ...or snake skin for the upper barrels. I have on occasion used homebrew PR, usually in camo like colors.

Yes , get a gas mask , that stuff stinks . I guess I just have a weak stomach but I puked my guts out the only time I tried to turn it . My wife wasn't too happy either , made me get undressed and leave my clothes outside to air out .

I guess I've gotten used to the smell... I don't think antler smells any more than other things we turn... I know there's an odor, but I don't find it terribly offensive.

PaulDoug

Antler is fairly easy to turn. It does smell when drilling but I've gotten use to it and don't mind it anymore. You could eat a pot of beans the night before and probably camouflage the antler order somewhat. It is nice to try to drill it off center so some of the "bark" will show. Turn it like wood. You may have to add some CA to hold it together some if/when you get to the morrow. Finish like you would wood with CA.

Jgrden

Antler is fairly easy to turn. It does smell when drilling but I've gotten use to it and don't mind it anymore. You could eat a pot of beans the night before and probably camouflage the antler order somewhat. It is nice to try to drill it off center so some of the "bark" will show. Turn it like wood. You may have to add some CA to hold it together some if/when you get to the morrow. Finish like you would wood with CA.
That is it, BEANS, or allot of peanut butter.

ldb2000

Hey Paul , please don't invite me over if you are planning on turning Antler :eek::biggrin:

Seer

Well I just sold 10 pens and of those 6 wanted a wood until they saw the 2 antler ones I had turned and instantly they all wanted antler so much for my stash. Another one they all liked was the Buckeye Burl they said it reminded them of deer hide a greyish brown and it actually looked nice. Not a one wanted anything to do with dark wood but the African Blackwood looked real nice as well in my opinion but Antler seems to be the main one they like out here.

SDB777

Many of you make cartridge bullet pens... what type of wood is the best looking for the pen? I was thinking Kingwood or Bloodwood, but would like to know what is the best looking. Thanks for any help.

Yes, I make and sell LOTS of these pens.
Antler is an okay seller, but most of the hunters/shooters I sell them to actually want a light colored wood...
And that Camo PR blank....haven't sold a one of those yet, and I've reduced the price to almost cost, and they still won't sell. People say they look 'cheezy'.

pensavailable008.jpg

pensavailable013.jpg

Scott (two of my favorite sellers) B

chiefgreen

I have made one out of the Bloodwood, it looked real good. FYI - I have made a couple out of desert camo acrylic. They looked outstanding.

Top Bottom