Care to share your reverse or tube painting technique?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

Hi Folks:

I am getting to the point where I go to learn this stuff and who better to ask?
My primary questions concern affixing/glue the tube into the blank:

Sanding a painted tube,,,won't the paint come off an expose the brass?

Will CA dissolve the paint or will paint compromise the bond?

I understand that many use two part epoxy and do not sand the tube.

Do you paint the tube or the inside of the blank.

I would love to hear from you think/do.

Thank you!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Falcon1220

Depending on how translucent the blank is, I may paint both the blank inside and the tube. I mostly use Testors model paint with a small brush. Sand the tube prior to painting. When all is dry, test the fit without glue. If some paint is scraped off in the dry fit, touch up the paint. Sometimes if you are planning to paint both tube and blank, it helps to drill a little bigger than what the kit calls for.
I have not found ca dissolving the paint. If the paint is not100% dry it may be an issue

toddlajoie

I paint the inside of the hole drilled in the blank with Testor's Modeling Paint (the tiny little bottles from the hobby store) using a Q-Tip. I generally use the closest color I have to the blank, or Black (on very dark blanks that I want to keep that way) or White (on very light blanks that I want to keep that way). Black or white are generally only used on blanks that are relatively opaque but not completely, not on the blanks that have a good bit of depth or translucency to them.

After that dries (usually overnight) I sand the brass tubes and use 2 part epoxy (with one drop of the same color paint mixed into it) to glue the tubes into the blank.

I have been incredibly happy with the results...

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I'm sure you'll get a variety of answers to this one & there are a number of old threads on the subject that you can browse as well.

Here's what I do - works for me, but not necessarily a recommendation:
For acrylics, I use Krylon spray paint to paint both the tube & the inside of the blank, then let them dry overnight. No sanding before or after spraying. I shove a small wad of paper towel into one end of the tubes & slip them over a finishing nail driven partly into a board to hold the tubes for spraying. Sometimes I just hold the blanks by hand but sometimes I use a plier or hand vise to hold the blank & keep the paint off my fingers. I give them a 1 to 2 second shot of paint from each end.

I recently quit sanding tubes even for my wood blanks, but I am more careful to blow out the sawdust from the blank before gluing - and I still use medium CA for all my glue-ups, both acrylics & wood.

If a tube looks grungy, I will clean it with a little DNA or acetone.

bjbear76

I don't paint the tube anymore. I just use a Q-tip to paint the inside of the blank, let it sit overnight to dry. I've had better results with CA glue instead of epoxy too. I did have a couple issues with the epoxy not being completely dry and then the blank would slip while trying to turn it. As long as the paint is dry, the CA glue won't affect it.

TonyL

kovalcik

I spray Krylon or Rustoleum right down the drilled hole. Let it sit over night and have not had any issues. Sometimes I will spray the tube also if I think of it, especially if the blank is really translucent. Usually not though.

If you paint the tubes, sand them before painting if you want, or just wipe them off with alcohol or acetone. After painting, no need to sand further.

I use both CA and Epoxy on painted acrylics without any issues.

Last edited:

BSea

About the only thing I'd add is to be sure the paint is CURED. Dry isn't cured. If it is cured, it's much harder to scratch off, and in my experience, CO and epoxy won't affect the paint. Of course a brass tube might have a burr that will scratch the paint. So it's a good idea to polish the ends of the tube.

TonyL

Thanks guys. I am all set. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your willingness to share your knowledge.

Best to you!

Top Bottom