Carbide turning tools

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

carsonbm

Closed Carbide turning tools

I am going to buy a set but, there are a lot of manufactures out there. What do you look for before buying?

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

I will presume you are making reference to tooling that accepts carbide inserts - there are also tools with braised carbide attached to the tips.

Two general types - those which cut with a supported edge such as the Hunter or the Eliminator. Those which function more as scrapers - Woodchuck, sogger, Easy tools, etc.

I have some of both types (who says I have a lathe tool problem) and it depends on what your style of turning is. The scraper form is easiest to work with and learn. Supported cutting edge give better range of opportunity, but is more difficult to master and more subtle in approach options.

I have one of Ken Ferrell's woodchuck units and am very well satisfied with it. I find the hunter tool unsurpassed (for me) for roughing out pen blanks in acrylic and polyester resins (ribbons over the shoulder with consistency).

Find someone who has them and will let you "test drive" -- then get what feels comfortable and learn to use it well.

ldb2000

I agree with Ken on the carbide tools , especially the Hunter tool , I love shooting those ribbons everywhere . The Hunter tool has a bit of a learning curve because it can be very aggressive and that's not always a good thing .
I use the other type he mentioned , the ones with the braised tips . I have the PSI set and absolutely love them but they have one very serious limitation ,you must keep the tool rest tight to the work . You can't let the braised tip overhang the tool rest or it will break off . Other then that they are fantastic , just the right size for pens and they hold a sharp edge much longer then HSS tools . Every one of my pens in my photo album was made with mainly the gouge and the skew , even the metal ones .

PaulDoug

I'm now a fan of the Woodchuck Pro. Just got it a little over a week ago but I know it and me are going to get along just fine.

Attachments

• sssMG_1427.jpg
    sssMG_1427.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 431

Tree Frog

Used my Brand new Woodchuck pro 2 days ago on my first tru-stone blanks. It worked great. Got two pens out of the first cutter face and expect to get more before moving onto another face. I dont have any other carbide turning tools to compare it with, but I'm real impressed to this one. :biggrin:

randyrls

Used my Brand new Woodchuck pro 2 days ago on my first tru-stone blanks. It worked great. Got two pens out of the first cutter face and expect to get more before moving onto another face. I dont have any other carbide turning tools to compare it with, but I'm real impressed to this one. :biggrin:

Most of these are flat across the top. You can sharpen them with a diamond impregnated credit card sized hone. Don't get one with holes in it, the holes catch on the carbide. Put a bit of oil on the card and rub the carbide in circles for about 15 seconds. Clean off the oil and gray stuff. Good as new. Oh; Don't cut yourself on the edge of the carbide. You won't feel a thing until you realize you are leaking.... :)

Whaler

I have a Hunter and swear by it for roughing, there is a learning curve though. I now have enough of a feel for it that I can get close with it and then switch to the skew.

Top Bottom