Carbide tipped live center?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rifleman1776

Check out suppliers for machine tools. However, in fact, you probably do not need carbide. Mine were wearing just like you describe. On the advice of a salesman at Grizzly, I bought a new live center from the machine tool side of the store. He explained that centers made for wood are not hardened steel. Those made for machine work are. Thus far, no wear. Price wise, you are going from about $5.00 to about $10.00.

cowchaser

I just bought a live center from johnnycnc that is hardened steel. Seems great so far. I had the grooving problem with the one I bought at little machine shop, but it was about a year old. Not sure if John has any carbide tipped ones or not. You might pm him and see if he has what you want.

redfishsc

Originally posted by Rifleman1776

Check out suppliers for machine tools. However, in fact, you probably do not need carbide. Mine were wearing just like you describe. On the advice of a salesman at Grizzly, I bought a new live center from the machine tool side of the store. He explained that centers made for wood are not hardened steel. Those made for machine work are. Thus far, no wear. Price wise, you are going from about $5.00 to about $10.00.

I bought mine from http://littlemachineshop.com/ and have turned hundreds of pens with it, not to mention using it for wood-contact turnings. No problems at all.

Top Bottom