Carbide insert replacements

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jzerger

I have (and love) the Penpro purchased from an IAP member (herrell ? ...sorry for the probable spelling error).
I read on a different post here that Global Tooling Byrd inserts can be used without adjustment. My question is: what size do I need for an R4 (square) cutter? I can't figure out what the dimensions on the Global tooling website mean; 15mm x 15 mm?
The inserts I have aren't anywhere close to 15 mm or 13 or ?
I have a project where I need to use lots of corian and antler (not together) and so plan on going through quite a few of them. I just assume I'm not as "good" as those of you who do hundreds of pens with one insert. I use it from start to finish so the blade gets beat on pretty good just to make the stock round. I hit them pretty aggressively initially.
At any rate, if there's a way I can save a few bucks on my inserts, I'd appreciate it.
Thanks, john

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Hi John I have been looking for smaller carbide inserts also. The ones they Global Tooling has are a size Ci1 size (15x15mm). The R4 or R2 is the size of the radius on the cutter, no R designation means it is square.

I have been looking for the Ci2 R2 size these are about 12x12 mm, I think I have found a lead for them from a guy on eBay. He said they have their first production run coming up should be available mid May. I'll let you know when I find out more.

Mike

jzerger

As usual, I always learn the answer from this group.

At some point I hope to have something constructive to contribute to this forum.
Until then, thank you!
John

darthintel

For what it's worth, I have good luck removing the round carbide cutter from the tool and placing it upside down on a diamond hone lightly "sanding" the top to clean it up. This has improved the edge of the cutter allowing additional life out of the cutter.

keithbyrd

I get the Byrd cutters from Globaltooling.com $2.61 per head
For "Byrd" Shelix ® Journal (Helical) Heads -- 15mm x 15mm x 2.5mm - 4-edge - Radius Faces 100mm face radius - 15mm x 15mm x 2.5mm. Fits "Byrd" Shelix ® Heads - Byrd Ref. P/N 1791212 (Priced per knife, sold in boxes of 10.) Knives marked with 'BT'

Unfortunately not related to Byrd cutters!

kovalcik

Maybe a radical idea, but you can save some wear and tear on your carbide cutters if you get a 1/2" or 3/4" roughing gouge from PSI. Use that to rough out the pens, sharpening as needed, and do the finish work with your carbide cutter. Roughing gouges are pretty easy to sharpen and easy to learn how to use. I think they run around $15.

PMBROTH.NY

PMBROTH.NY

Hi

To hijack anyone thread, but does anyone know where to get 10mm round carbide inserts?

thx

Richard

AZ carbide has 12mm and 16mm inserts:
Round - AZ Carbide

I usually buy my cutters from captain Eddie. But I found these on amazon they work great and are cheap

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B077...und+cutter&dpPl=1&dpID=41TJ0ZlXs7L&ref=plSrch

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Rifleman1776

Go to the Grizzly web site and check for replacement cutters for planers. Carbide and very reasonably priced, a couple dollars each. I made a bunch of turning tools from these and sold them. Last much longer than the experience you described.

JPW062

I second using a HSS roughing gouge to get it round. Easy to sharpen and cheap. If you don't have jigs it still works with 20 bevels.
Saves a lot of beating on the carbide.

Top Bottom