Carbide end-mill (PSI)-- shattering plastic blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

redfishsc

I just got the PSI carbide end-mill and tried to clean up the ends on some Inlace Acrylester blanks (the first, and so far only blanks I've tried with it). I shattered one blank and pitted out the other couple with it.

I tried every speed I could with ***light*** pressure. The problem was that there seemed to be this very, very thin line between "not enough pressure to do much trimming" and "just enough to make it self-feed and shatter/pit the end of the blank".

I suspect it is because this is a more aggresive cutter (with only two cutting edges instead of the four of most steel cutters). Anyone else have this problem with these?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

Make a handle for it and use it as a hand tool. You should not need to do very much trimming to square the blank. The tool is for squaring and not for trimming of lots off material. Even better, use a disk sander and a squaring jig. I've never ruined a blank squaring it with a disk sander.

I wonder how many of us use pen mills as hand tools? Maybe a poll is in order. NAW! Just wondering.

Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by redfishsc
<br />I just got the PSI carbide end-mill and tried to clean up the ends on some Inlace Acrylester blanks (the first, and so far only blanks I've tried with it). I shattered one blank and pitted out the other couple with it.

I tried every speed I could with ***light*** pressure. The problem was that there seemed to be this very, very thin line between "not enough pressure to do much trimming" and "just enough to make it self-feed and shatter/pit the end of the blank".

I suspect it is because this is a more aggresive cutter (with only two cutting edges instead of the four of most steel cutters). Anyone else have this problem with these?

guts

I have the psi carb.mill and don't use it,Don I use the mill with a hand tool,it's a tap handle from my tap and die set.

neon007

I use the PSI carbide end mill in my drill press and have had no problems. Just go REALLY SLOW and make sure its REALLY SHARP!!! I have had a problem one time but that was with diamondwood and a heavy hand.

Fred

Are you holding the blank by hand? I certainly hope not as these mills can often eat more of your flesh in an instant than you will ever grow back in a year.

I have never had an problem with the mills ever since I started using a centering vise to hold the blank. I know it slows down the process, but I like the end of my fingers and the back of my hand just way to much to even take a chance on holding the blanks by hand. [:D]

redfishsc

Thanks for the concern about my fingers, all, lol.

I hold the blank with a vice-grip pliers set if I am using the lathe.

I use my 6" vise clamp to hold the blank if I am using a hand-drill.

So far the only way I can use this trimmer on Inlace blanks is if I hold the blank in my Barracuda chuck (headstock) and the mill in the tailstock, and just use the quill to ever-so-gently ease the trimmer into the blanks. Talk about slow.

The trimmer did, however, cut some HUT Polygem blanks very nicely, no shatter/chatter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom