Carbide Cutters on Inlays

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kooster

Has anyone used the carbide cutters (Easy Wood Tools, etc.) on any inlay projects? I've read that such cutters should not be used for turning inlays
as the scraping edge may cause damage to the piece.
Just wondering, as sharp as these tools are, why they wouldn't work properly but I'd like some feedback before I invest in some inlays and/or a skew.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robersonjr

EWT tools are all I use on inlay kits, haven't had a problem yet. I do speed the lathe up a bit but the turnings are smooth fast and easy. Robbie

turncrazy43

carbide cutters on inlay kits

I have used carbide EWT on my inlay kits with no problems. Use sharp cutter and take light bites. If you get too aggressive it can end up blowing out.

jttheclockman

This is just my opinion so do with it as you please. But To me you want a shearing cut and not a scraping cut. The reason is at times when you assemble those inlay pieces they may have a tendency to stand proud of the blank. With a scraping cut you may have a tendency to get under one of those inlays and rip it out or worse blow up the blank. With a shearing cut you are cutting cross grain and shearing fibers. This is the same principle when doing segmented work. So I recommend a good sharp skew. I do not do many of those lazer cut blanks but any that I have done a skew is my weapon of choice. Good luck.

butchf18a

Sandpaper only is my preferred methodology, works well for me. Regardless of which method one may choose, carbide, skew, sandpaper, the importance of thoroughly cured adhesive cannot be minimalized.

walshjp17

I have used an EWT with and R2 cutter in the past with good success, especially on the Lazerlinez Skull & Cross bones inlays where I replace the eye and nose pieces with crushed red stone and CA. It does a real nice job bringing the stone down.

However, I am going to try sanding the next time to check it out.

I start with 150 sandpaper to get the blank smooth, after I get the inlay done it usually has bumps etc. that I am afraid I would catch with any tool. After the blank is smooth I then use a radius carbide cutter holding it on an angle to get a shearing cut.

Top Bottom