Carbide Choices - Help Please!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Hi All,

I have been reading from time to time that some of you are using carbide to turn some of the harder materials ( some of the Tru STones for example).

I am considering buying a carbide tool or two to turn Tru Stones, if you are using carbide could you share with me what you are using?

I am considering buying Easy Wood Tools (Ci1 and Ci0) at this time on a recommendation from a fine person named Alan!
:)

MyKidsDad

I made my own using one of the Easy Wood Tools inserts from Woodcraft. I also used an Easy Wood Tools tool (don't remember which one) during a bowl turning class I took at Woodcraft. I like using it but it won't replace all of the my other tools. It did help with a trustone blank I turned.

Another option to look at is right here on this forum...http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=53620

PenMan1

I prefer the WoodChuck Pen Pro over the Easy tools. It seems to be made better, it is sold by an IAP member that makes pens, it fits my gorilla hands better, and finally the tool and the inserts cost substantially less for IAP members than Easy tools.

You can find information on the WoodChuck buy looking in the Business Classified forum .

Russianwolf

I have the longer woodchucks. gives a bit more control/leverage.

just make sure that whatever you get has replacable cutters, the ones that are fixed you have to learn to sharpen, no fun.

ctubbs

I have the Woodchuck tool and it is my number 1 tool. I have turned wood, acrylic and polymer clay with it. The wood is everything from Eastern Red Cedar through Walnut to White and Red Oak. I have started one bowl out of green yellow poplar, turned 6 or 7 spindles for the stairs out of White oak, maybe 10 acrylic pens and one PC for my wife's FP all on the same face of the first cutter. It will still make my thumb bleed profusely. You can fine Ken here;
http://www.woodchuck-tools.com. Normal disclaimer here.
If I were to be making another carbide tool purchase, it would be one of Ken's. for one thing, he is a member here and offers support on site and via phone. Before I bought mine, we held a very informative phone conversation. He was very helpful. My $0.02 today.
Charles

Polarys425

I have one Eazy Wood Tool, Ci3 if i remember correctly. My other carbide tool i made using an Easy Wood Tool carbide cutter, some square steel from HD, and some 2"x2" oak.

I prefer the WoodChuck Pen Pro over the Easy tools. It seems to be made better, it is sold by an IAP member that makes pens, it fits my gorilla hands better, and finally the tool and the inserts cost substantially less for IAP members than Easy tools.

You can find information on the WoodChuck buy looking in the Business Classified forum .

Thanks Andy...I will Look

I made my own using one of the Easy Wood Tools inserts from Woodcraft. I also used an Easy Wood Tools tool (don't remember which one) during a bowl turning class I took at Woodcraft. I like using it but it won't replace all of the my other tools. It did help with a trustone blank I turned.

Another option to look at is right here on this forum...http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=53620

Thanks!

mrcook4570

I have both the Skogger and the Rotondo (both of which are made by Peter). Both are very easy to use and remove a lot of material quickly and cleanly. The square inserts are excellent for bulk material removal. The round inserts are great for finer detail work. I highly recommend both of these tools.

Daniel

I have both the Skogger and Rotondo. If I had to pick one of those two it would be the Rotondo. I woudl miss the skogger though and actually use both pretty much equally. So I am very happy to not have to choose.

Looks like I'm late to the Carbide Party, but thank you all for your thoughts.

Another question, how long does a carbide cutter last, I turn 80% Acrylics and Tru Stone... I turn about 400 pens a year.... at this time all with a skew and roughing gouge.

Thanks for your responses....

Polarys425

Looks like I'm late to the Carbide Party, but thank you all for your thoughts.

Another question, how long does a carbide cutter last, I turn 80% Acrylics and Tru Stone... I turn about 400 pens a year.... at this time all with a skew and roughing gouge.

Thanks for your responses....

Carbide has a really good lifespan, and when it does dull a bit, just hone the top surface on a diamond knife sharpener.

1080Wayne

Difficult to say . I used the Skogger in a skewy fashion , which means that only a small portion of the total cutting edge does most of the work . On a run of PVC water pipe Euro`s , the edge was gone after 30 pens (but there were still 3 edges remaining .) If used as a scraper , the mileage in theory should be much greater .

Recommend a 600/1200 2 sided diamond grit stone for sharpening - sold by Lee Valley and probably others .

Padre

I have both the Woodchuck and the set of Easy tools. I prefer the Woodchuck for pens.

corian king

Hello All
Well I have to tell this story.A very good friend of mine that is also a member here had the skogger. He was telling me about it and he sent me to Peter. Well I liked the looks of the ROTONDO better so I bought it.He thought I was crazy but he decided to come out and pay me a visit and he brought the SKOGGER with him so we could compare the two.Well make a long story short He ordered the rotondo before he left my house to go home and I am getting ready to order the skogger.I have sent many customers to Peter and everyone really likes him and Loves the tools.
JIM

mach9

Does anybody sell an insert for these tools that has an "inverted" radius on the corners? I do some pens with a wood center band and I'd like to be able to put a consistent radius on them. Would have to be a pretty small radius.

gwilki

Jim: I'll put in my 2 cents for the Hunter. I use it on all plastics, richlite, antler, truestone and corian. Works very well on all of them.

Tree Frog

Another +1 for the WoodChuck Pen Pro, although I haven't tried any of the other brands mentioned here. Got about 20 Trustones out of the first 4 sided cutter and now it could do with a touch up before I do any more. 2 of those pens were Red Dino, which seemed to be much tougher than most of the other trustone types I had.

randyrls

To join the thread; Any of the flat topped carbide cutters can be sharpened easily with a credit card diamond hone or a flat surface plate and silicon carbide sandpaper. Anything from 220 grit for coarse to 600, or 1000 for a fine. In a pinch at table saw table top can be used as a flat surface, hint, hint.

I liked Capt' Eddies video and will have to watch more of them after church.

If you make your own tool, use a round bar stock and a golf club handle for a handle.

Rick_G

Here's the first one made in the shop using the large finisher tip from Lee Valley. Total cost approx. $19.23 plus tax. The steel rod was 3 ft for $5.50 (makes 3 tools) at my local home hardware and the tip was $17.40 from Lee Valley. Handle was some leftover ash. Plus tax of course. I didn't factor in the trip to Lee Valley because I was going there anyway to get some other stuff I needed. Took me about 3 hrs to make it.
If you factor in your time @ $35 per hr it costs about the same to make it as buy it. But then if you are like me retired, lots of time little money a good tool for $20 is a great deal.

Attachments

• 2070.png
    2070.png
    112.9 KB · Views: 131
  • 2071.png
    2071.png
    482.9 KB · Views: 131

Polarys425

Here's the first one made in the shop using the large finisher tip from Lee Valley. Total cost approx. $19.23 plus tax. The steel rod was 3 ft for $5.50 (makes 3 tools) at my local home hardware and the tip was $17.40 from Lee Valley. Handle was some leftover ash. Plus tax of course. I didn't factor in the trip to Lee Valley because I was going there anyway to get some other stuff I needed. Took me about 3 hrs to make it.
If you factor in your time @ $35 per hr it costs about the same to make it as buy it. But then if you are like me retired, lots of time little money a good tool for $20 is a great deal.

I see two things i would work on....

1) Is grinding the end of the screw flush with the bottom of the bar.
2) Grind the end of the bar at an angle that matches or closely matches the angle of the cutter, or grind it so that it doesnt protrude past the bottom surface of the cutter.

Both of these things will eliminate interference with your tool rest and your work.

Feels good making your own tools doesnt it?

Rick_G

I see two things i would work on....

1) Is grinding the end of the screw flush with the bottom of the bar.
2) Grind the end of the bar at an angle that matches or closely matches the angle of the cutter, or grind it so that it doesnt protrude past the bottom surface of the cutter.

Both of these things will eliminate interference with your tool rest and your work.

Feels good making your own tools doesnt it?

Yes it does and both of your suggestions have been done.

flash880

I just got a Woodchuck Pen Pro and i really like it . I got it from Beartooth Woods without a handle and made my own handle, but i agree with what someone else said they don't replace my other tools.

Mapster

Woodchuck pen pro all the way for me... solid as a rock and will eat up anything short of rock. Almost cuts the bushings easier than some normal materials...

Texatdurango

Like a few others, I ordered my carbide inserts from Global tooling, bought some steel rod at the local hardware store, turned a nice mesquite handle and I have a really nice for under $20.

When Global tool ( http://globaltooling.bizhosting.com/products/carbide-insert-knives.html#ick151525byrd ) puts their $1.40 cutters on sale frequently for around $12.50 PER BOX OF 10 it amazes me at the prices charged by some of the tool makers running around. I think I saw $15 for each cutter in one of the above links!

Jim, to answer your question on how long they last...... I bought a box of 10 cutters two years ago and have used only four cutters to date and I even use them on my metal lathe cutting aluminum!

Rob73

I picked up mine from http://eddiecastelin.com/products_and_services and then just made my own tool handles. Making the handles was easy.

My father picked up a larger carbide from someone that puts a golf handle on there. I tried that one and was not to impressed with it, the smaller one that I got from Eddie cut much better. Those are only two I've ever tried so far though so can't really comment on the other ones out there.

Top Bottom