Carbatec lathes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyW

When I first decided to start wood turning in general again and pens in particular I was lucky enough to buy a new old stock Carbatec mini lathe which is complete with every thing except a motor. To identify which model it is, it has a 5-step pulley and an on-off toggle switch on the front. There is a mains lead but it has two flat pins on the end, not a UK one with three rectangular pins. It looks very similar to one of the lathes used in the Bonnie Klein book, but it looks as if the motor should be slung below the mounting board, in the same way the old Myford ML8 were, rather than at the back of the board as her's is. There is only a spring loaded hatch at the back of the headstock, which looks to just be for the manual speed changing. Lastly, it is all black!

I am looking for a manual for it, along with advice on motor mounting pleas. I've tried lathes.co.uk, but they have nothing to help me.

TIA,

Tony Wells.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

Tony - I got started in this round of turning with Bonnie and her videos. I have a Bonnie Klein lathe. Those lathes were Taig headstocks driven by a Marathon motor, 6 speed sheave, and a gates belt. Motor could be mounted behind or under the head stock. Bonnie used one with the motor in a box under the lathe. Gravity and a hinge provided belt tension.

Your challenge is to find a motor sheave to match the head stock and drive belt to match the shelves. Motor then to fit the sheave motor sheave.

Odds are not good on finding a 240 volt 50 hertz motor to match the stock connectors but rewire should be straight forward.

Last edited:

WriteON

Hi Tony. PSI was big on CarbaTec lathes for while. Maybe someone there can help you. Call the store on Philmont Ave (In Phila)...ask for Bob, Brian or Jeff. I'll get a Ph# for you if you need it.

TonyW

My thanks to Kryn and everyone else who replied. I'm laid up with a chest infection at them moment but will post some photos as soon as I can.

Tony.

sschering

This lathe?
https://www.carbatec.com.au/woodtur...athes/mini-lathe-economy-1-c-35kg-84-43-30-cm

MC1018.jpg

Top Bottom