Caragana Find of A Lifetime!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rd_ab_penman

At this past weekend's craft show a lady asked me if I had any Caragana Pens
I told here I didn't have any Caragana to make pens with.
She asked for my business card and said I could expect a phone call today to come a look at some Caragana.

Got the the call this afternoon and went to have a look.
I couldn't believe my eyes!
In their garage was 3.5 Cords of Caragana!
The average Caragana diameter is from 2 to 4 inches.

The gentleman told me the Caragana was cut, stacked and had been drying for 8 years and told me that it was from a shelter belt that his Dad planted in
1927!

He told me to take a few pieces and cut up and let him know what I thought.
I cut some 3/4" X 3/4" X 5" blanks from one of the pieces and put on some Tung Oil.

Looks like I am going to have some Caragana pen blanks and small diameter turning stock for sale!

dsc05033dg1.jpg

caragana3dj2.jpg

caraganaqu3.jpg

caragana2up0.jpg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

akbar24601

That is a wonderful find! Those blanks are going to make for some beautiful pens. I wouldn't mind being on the list to buy as well. Thanx.

cdbakkum

I made a vase out of caragana and it turned out to be beautiful. I was playing with the wood to see how it turned. Turned nicely. the

M

monkeynutz

If the interest here is any indication, I hope you grabbed all 3.5 cords! :tongue:

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
I find this interesting. Sometime back, Jared was given some wood and stated that he was planning to sell some blanks. The poor kid needed an asbestos/Kevlar body suit for the firestorm of posts that followed chastising him for planning to sell free wood.

For the record, I don't see the problem with either Les or Jared selling wood they were given. I just find the difference in the tone of the posts intriguing.

M

monkeynutz

I find this interesting. Sometime back, Jared was given some wood and stated that he was planning to sell some blanks. The poor kid needed an asbestos/Kevlar body suit for the firestorm of posts that followed chastising him for planning to sell free wood.

For the record, I don't see the problem with either Les or Jared selling wood they were given. I just find the difference in the tone of the posts intriguing.
Not sure, Cav, but I didn't really get the feel that Les had been given anything but a couple samples. I'd bet there is a purchase involved in any quantity. The thing about Jared, IIRC, was that he had been given some wood to advance his blossoming interest in turning, as his resources were limited and folks wanted to help him out. When he began talking about selling it, that was where the criticism began... Doesn't sound like the same thing here.

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
Not sure, Cav, but I didn't really get the feel that Les had been given anything but a couple samples. I'd bet there is a purchase involved in any quantity. The thing about Jared, IIRC, was that he had been given some wood to advance his blossoming interest in turning, as his resources were limited and folks wanted to help him out. When he began talking about selling it, that was where the criticism began... Doesn't sound like the same thing here.
It sounds like you are correct, he was given some wood to advance his blossoming interest. BUT, he was given a lot of wood and needed more than just wood in order to make pens. When he said he wanted to sell some, he caught everything short of being lynched. I don't see how it could possibly matter how someone gets their wood, if they wish to sell what they have then that is their business and they shouldn't be chastised for it. I go out and get wood myself very often and sell it. It cost me gas, time, and labor and non of that is free. When a member was given a large amount of camphor and sold it, he was popular with everyone and sold a lot of it, heck, I even bought 2 boxes of it. I have to agree with Cav and say that the double standards really need to stop. Sorry about highjacking your thread like this, but this all needs to be aired and everyone needs to act more like they did in this thread. Nice wood by the way.:)

bad

Hey Les, I'm just south of you in Calgary. If you end up with a few extra blanks for sale would you mind sending me a PM? I wouldn't mind picking up a few of those myself.

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
I think the difference is that Jared asked, almost begged, for people to send him wood so he could learn to turn. Then after he got it he wanted to offer it for sale. I think that ruffled some feathers. Add to that our (IAP-membership's) tendency towards mob mentality... once one person was ruffled and flamed Jared others joined in and it grew into an inferno. It all seems to boil down to how the first people respond. In this case, welcoming.

Sorry for the off-topic.

DocStram

I'm with Monkeynutz on this one.

I think it might be best to let sleeping dogs lie.

rd_ab_penman

Just for the record I was not given this wood.
I posted this thread to see if there would be any interest in Caragana pen blanks and small diameter turning stock.
I took a few pieces to cut in to blanks and turn a few pens to see how it turns out.
If there is enough interest I will make a deal to purchase the Caragana.

Les

DocStram

I posted this thread to see if there would be any interest in Caragana pen blanks and small diameter turning stock.
I took a few pieces to cut in to blanks and turn a few pens to see how it turns out.

Les

Les .... do you ship to the USA? :biggrin:

woodchip

It's nice looking wood for sure but, what's special about it? Is it just a hard to come by type of wood or ususlly doesn't get large enough for turning making it more difficult to acquire?

Skye

It's an interesting grain pattern, sort of like a cross between BOW and Kingwood, but I also don't see what's so special about it. I dunno...

mywoodshopca

Charlottetown, PEI Canada, Derby Kansas and Canyon

Les

Great looking wood. I will be watching for it to be listed for sale :)

I dont see why this thread was turning into a free wood flame conversation?

SherryD

This is not rare wood folks. It is sold as firewood in some parts of the midwest for approximately $25 to $35 ton. While it has some attractive grain in part, is appears mostly as sap wood. Like alot of domestic woods, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

mdburn_em

I've got a bit of experience with Caragana or Siberian Pea Shrub/tree.

when the wood is cut up, some really fascinating colors can show up, along with incredible patterns. Some very vivid yellows and oranges will make their appearance.

Some of the stuff with the most character requires a lot of CA when turning. Otherwise, it turns like a butter.

I had a hard time selling pens made of Amboyna or Rosewood (burls) when put next to some of the caragana pens when I was living in Montana. The wood looked as good or better and it was grown locally. (Anything that can grow on the plains of MT is pretty tough stuff)

Of course I cherry picked my blanks because I had miles of shelter belts available. It required a lot of cutting to get those blanks.

I haven't posted many pictures because I haven't mastered Gerryr's tutorial.

Since Caragana is so freely available, I don't know if you should pay a lot for it, but if you do get it, I think you'll be happy. I did find that most of the really good stuff grows at the base and there are often a lot of splits and decay in the heartwood there.

GBusardo

Siberian Pea makes a real nice pen. I got this wood from Wayne1080 in a blank swap. I actually think it looks better than most people who look at it.

Attachments

• speacigar.jpg
    speacigar.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 146
Top Bottom