Capped pens.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

elody21

This is to all of you who do those BEAUTIFUL pens like the Baron etc..
Which one is the most user friendly? Or should I say turner friendly? The only one that I have done besides the European with a cap is the first one that Berea had. I found it very tricky to get everything right. The cap has an extra brass tube that you do not glue in. When you are done turning you then glue the shorter tube in!
Anyway I would like to do more capped pens and I wasn't sure which way to go. Any ideas?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Don in Tally

I jusr finished turning my first Fountain Pen which was a Baron from AS and found it very easy to turn and put together. sorry no experience on others, but looking forward to making some.

woodpens

The Junior Gentleman, Junior Statesman and Baron are all vertually identical to make. The Jr Gman was the first and became an instant classic. The Jr Statesman was next, and added some exquisite detail, but uses the same drill bit and bushings. The Baron is closer to the Jr Gman, but uses different bushings. There is no taper to the lower barrel, so you have two bushing sizes. There is not tenon or cutting down to the brass on these kits. If you can make a cigar pen, you'll find these to be a breeze. If I had to choose just one of them, I would go with the Baron because of the variety of finshes it comes in. You can choose from 24k gold, titanium gold, black titanium, platinum and sterling silver. You can't beat that selection!

Oh yeah, the tubes and drill bits are the same for all three of the above mentioned kits.

Rudy Vey

Originally posted by woodpens
<br />The Junior Gentleman, Junior Statesman and Baron are all vertually identical to make. The Jr Gman was the first and became an instant classic. The Jr Statesman was next, and added some exquisite detail, but uses the same drill bit and bushings. The Baron is closer to the Jr Gman, but uses different bushings. There is no taper to the lower barrel, so you have two bushing sizes. There is not tenon or cutting down to the brass on these kits. If you can make a cigar pen, you'll find these to be a breeze. If I had to choose just one of them, I would go with the Baron because of the variety of finshes it comes in. You can choose from 24k gold, titanium gold, black titanium, platinum and sterling silver. You can't beat that selection!

Oh yeah, the tubes and drill bits are the same for all three of the above mentioned kits.

.... and Satin Nickel and, but not available yet, Chromium.
Barons are easy to make and I think having better threads than the Gents Jr (had some bad ones in the last batch)

Rudy

jkirkb94

I would tend to agree with everyone else on the Baron, and Jr. Gent. I do like the cigar (capped) for balance but the smaller size of the Baron and the variety of finishes make it very appealing. One good thing about the Cigar is it uses the same bushings and single 10mm drill bit as does the regular Cigar pen.[:)] Kirk[8D]

elody21

Thanks for all of your replies! It is alsway nice to know what others think before making a decision. Thanks again!

tomwojeck

Originally posted by elody21
<br />This is to all of you who do those BEAUTIFUL pens like the Baron etc..
Which one is the most user friendly? Or should I say turner friendly? The only one that I have done besides the European with a cap is the first one that Berea had. I found it very tricky to get everything right. The cap has an extra brass tube that you do not glue in. When you are done turning you then glue the shorter tube in!
Anyway I would like to do more capped pens and I wasn't sure which way to go. Any ideas?
I've made a number of the Classic American Pens from Berea in both the fountain and rollerball. I've found them pretty easy to do, event though they require a tenon to be added to the cap. I blew up my first pen doing the tenon because I had never used a parting tool and got a little too agressive, but aside from that, I've found them very easy to do.

woodscavenger

I called BB yesterday planning to order the Jr. Gent but he talked me into the Baron. I hope to have to have a good experience with it. As far as writer friendly he says the screw cap mechanism is much better on the newer Baron than the others.

bajacrazy

I just started turning the Baron’s and love them. They are very easy to turn and assemble etc. They’re very user friendly and write like a dream. I don’t think you can possibly go wrong with the Baron. I haven’t tried the fountain yet, have some just haven’t got to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom