Cap on top of Cigar pen coming off.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tim'sTurnings

Has anyone else had the problem of the hexagon metal cap on top of the cigar pen pop-off after you have pressed it together into the top blank? Then when you try to screw it back together the threads seem to be stripped? How do you repair this? And how can it be prevented?

I glue it back together and clamp it. Does anyone else have this issue? I have had this happen to me twice lately and I DON'T LIKE IT!

Tim.:mad:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ldb2000

On most cigar pens the nut shaped trim on top is a glued in press fit . A drop of epoxy will keep it on without any problems . Don't use CA since as it out gases it can ruin the plating . One way to prevent it from happening is to take the cap and clip off the coupler and press in the coupler/activator tube then reattach the clip and cap . You are probably breaking the glue bond as you apply pressure to press it in place .

Last edited:

Mark

I assemble the hex cap, clip and tube insert, before pressing it into the top of the body.

I've never had one pop off, but if the cap was cross threaded while being assembled (on the pen), that might explain them coming apart after assembly.

I'm only guessing, but by assembling the parts before they are put under pressure from the clip being pushed out by the upper body, the threads are tightened down secure.

Just my meager ramblings. :biggrin:

ldb2000

I assemble the hex cap, clip and tube insert, before pressing it into the top of the body.

I've never had one pop off, but if the cap was cross threaded while being assembled (on the pen), that might explain them coming apart after assembly.

I'm only guessing, but by assembling the parts before they are put under pressure from the clip being pushed out by the upper body, the threads are tightened down secure.

Just my meager ramblings. :biggrin:

I don't think he means the whole threaded cap just the plated nut trim on the threaded cap . I use allot of cigar pen parts and have had this part come off on occation , usually on the cheaper kits .

Tim'sTurnings

The kits I bought were from CSUSA. I will unscrew the nut shaped top trim cap, epoxy and clamp in place to secure the clip to the brass tube before I press it into the finished barrel. Thanks for the replies.
I didn't know the CA would cause a problem with turning color.

And I didn't know I needed to glue parts before assembly. I don't think we should need to.

jttheclockman

The kits I bought were from CSUSA. I will unscrew the nut shaped top trim cap, epoxy and clamp in place to secure the clip to the brass tube before I press it into the finished barrel. Thanks for the replies.
I didn't know the CA would cause a problem with turning color.

And I didn't know I needed to glue parts before assembly. I don't think we should need to.

No we shouldn't have to and this was one of the complaints brought up in my complaint list which I started here not long ago. There is such a simple solution to those turning clips on any kit and that is make it keyed to the cap. We pay enough for these kits that we should expect a decent kit.

Top Bottom