Can't install upper barrel on PSI kit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lago

I am working with PSI Designer Pen PKMONT and am now having a problem installing the upper barrel. I can force it on but it would be almost impossible to remove it without damaging it.

I have 6 kits on hand and I tried on one that is still in the bag since I thought I might have glue in the tube. Same problem with with it also. I had a length of tube that I forced on and had to use pliers to remove the tube. After doing this several times, it did seem to work better.

Is this a common problem? I am only on my 3rd pen kit. I did have a slight problem with the first 2 but not as bad as this.

Thanks

Lago

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

navycop

You mentioned after doing this several times it worked. Might you sand down the outside of the one tube (with micro mesh as to not remove the coating) or the inside of the other?

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Transmission

I am working with PSI Designer Pen PKMONT and am now having a problem installing the upper barrel. I can force it on but it would be almost impossible to remove it without damaging it.

I have 6 kits on hand and I tried on one that is still in the bag since I thought I might have glue in the tube. Same problem with with it also. I had a length of tube that I forced on and had to use pliers to remove the tube. After doing this several times, it did seem to work better.

Is this a common problem? I am only on my 3rd pen kit. I did have a slight problem with the first 2 but not as bad as this.

Thanks

Lago

Assuming a 7mm straight Designer. The problem is probably the tube is a little small or the transmission is a little to big. On the transmission, near the silver end, there are probably a couple of small dimples...sand them down until you get a good fit. This is not a terribly uncommon problem and it is an easy fix. Before you do it though make sure it isn't happening because you got a little glue in the tube - if you did it will probably be near the end and all you'll need to do is clean it out.

Last edited:

Ray McLeod

I have made several of the Designer Pens which seem to always be snug. I have on all of my pens used vasoline aroung the barrel and with a rotation on the tube they work well.

PenMan1

Two things:
First PKMONT has been used by PSI to designate several "similar" products that are TOTALLY different.

I am assuming that you refer to the "cut tenon" 7mm European twist ballpoint.

Thing one:
With the particular hardware, if you cut the tenon to exact fit (not sloppy and glued) when you press on the centerband, it crimps the end of the upper barrel tube. This makes it virtually impossible to mount the upper tube without forcing "something"

To test "thing one", try mounting the upper barrel BEFORE pressing on the centerband. If the barrels fit snugly , but fit. Slop up the tenon just enough that it requires one drop of Loctite thradlock to keep the CB in place. NEVER use CA as it causes the plating to peel or cloud.

Thing two:y
The top thickness of PSI's european trannies vary significantly from one piece to the next. Use a caliper to see how close the fit. Since they vary so much, turn the transmission to fully retracted position. Locate one "dimple" at top dead center of your pen press. This ensures that any "wobble" in pressing is minimized, and doesn't "flair" the tranny's top.

I have actually made a THOUSAND of these! They are a bit agitating to build. In fairness to PSI,
they realize there is a problem with these and now offer a "no tenon" model of PKMONT.

My other suggestion, other than change over to "no tenon" PSI, is to buy the DAYACOM designers
in the TN and RHO platings. These transmission seem to be more consistantly sized, piece per piece, and are much more forgiving to build. IMHO, these transmissions are consistently of a higher quality.

Of course on any European, a sparkling, clean tube "is absolutely mandatory! "

Respectfully submitted.

Last edited:

PenMan1

My best guess is that you are trying to fit the centerband too snugly. Remember, virtually EVERY material will expand and contract. Wood has more "movement" than many other materials and reacts very differently, depending on weathe conditions such as changing temps and humidity levels.

Be sure to allow a little "wiggle room", especially with wood.

I hope this helps! A well done European pen is a beautiful thing (ask Mont Blanc).

Last edited:

lago

I will going to check all the trannies with calipers, including the 1st one I did. It can't be the center band causing a problem. I had quite a bit of wiggle room and had to hold it while the 5-minute epoxy set.

Thanks for the help.
Lago

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
My best guess is that you are trying to fit the centerband too snugly. Remember, virtually EVERY material will expand and contract. Wood has more "movement" than many other materials and reacts very differently, depending on weathe conditions such as changing temps and humidity levels.

Be sure to allow a little "wiggle room", especially with wood.

I hope this helps! A well done European pen is a beautiful thing (ask Mont Blanc).

Andy, I have encountered kits that "fit for spit" as has been described here. It is a question of tolerances that just don't match right. Since I don't have the pen in my hand, I can't say--but I suspect the problem is the kit, not the user.

lago

I think I found a work-around, at least for this one. I tried a new upper barrel and it also was too tight to push on. I then started turning it clockwise while slowly pushing it on.

On to the next one to see if that takes care of the problem.

Lago

Top Bottom