Canadian Wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

csb333

I have a friend that is from Edmonton Alberta that I would like to make a pen for. I would like to get an exotic wood (preferably a burl) that is indigenous to Canada. It wouldn't bother me if it also grows in the USA. Any suggestions? Thank you, Chris Byrnes, Nashville, TN

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
That is kind of you to consider that,

I would look at Maple burls or Big Leaf Maple as well, Ash Burls, White Oak Burls and of course and as Peter mentioned Birch. Madrone does grow in western BC, Walnut, Buternut and Cherry can be found in Southern Ontario, but are not found out west in any abundance.

Of course if he's in Northern Alberta, Jack Pine and Spruce are common, but not that desirable [:D]

badwin

Diamond Willow and Caragana are woods that are found in Alberta. The Caragana makes for really beautiful turnings and the Diamond Willow can either be pretty darn good or bland depending on the piece. Both turn and finish nice though. Diamond Willow is a native shrub and grows in our swamps. People make beautiful walking sticks from them. Caragana was brought over from Eastern Europe by the early settlers and was used by early pioneers as a wind hedge. Hope this helps.
Brian

badwin

Sorry forgot to put in a pic of a Diamond Willow slimline that I have turned. Also google Caragana and you will see some beautiful turnings from it.
Brian

2007125161749_diamondwillow.jpg
<br />

bradh

Jim did a good list of typical woods. If you want a wood that typlifies Canada, Maple is a good choice. We have the Maple leaf on our flag remember.
Brad Harding

JimGo

Have you considered using the flag kit sold by Ken Nelson? I know it's not a burl, but the flag looks pretty cool. http://www.kallenshaanwoods.com/servlet/Page?template=5180

Mikey

I second, or third, fourth, fifth or whatever the Maple, but Canada is known for the slow growing Maple that is prized by cue makers and others that require a nice dense wood with lots of rings per inch. Maybe a pen with some X cut maple that shows off a lot of rings?

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
Box Elder burl would be a good candidate. They call it Manitoba Maple up there, eh.

Check out the Box Elder burl available from Arizona Silhouette.

csb333

Thanks to all! I'm leaning toward the diamond willow or a nice crosscut maple or even the Kit from Ken- I had forgotten about that. I certainly appreciate all of your great advice! Sincerely, Chris

badwin

Chris
I am just on my way out the door to work, but if you can wait until tomorrow I will send you a personal email about some Diamond Willow that I have that is dry and ready to turn. I don't have much but I would be more than willing to try and help you out.
Brian

Grizzlyss

Another wood that you could use that is definitely Canadian as well is Juniper. When turned you can ge some really nice cream, reds, blues, and purple mixed in there. I have some drying right now, but it hasn't been cut yet. A friend of mine who makes wooden cars, trains, and trucks suggested it, and gave me a nice sized branch, so I am going to make him a pen from it too. Other than that Maple is really Canadian. Caragan is also called Russian Pea, and it is considered a weed by most, me included, it is next to impossible to kill. LOL

Sheldon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom