Canadian Turners

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Boomalia

I live in Ontario and use PSI kits that I get from Quebec. What I am wondering are other suppliers in Canada and if so what is the address or email link. I don't have a beef with PSI, just be nice to use a different product or design.
Thanks
Gary

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

arioux

HI Gary,

I live in Quebec and order mostly all my kits from the US. Prices are way too high here, and the postal cost is not that much higher. You probably order from J. Coulombes (he is a great guy and i go there when i need something rush) . No duty, only PST and GST as you would pay if you buy in Canada. And since the exchage rate is pretty low, savings are even greater.

I order my PSI from Pens of Color and Woodtuningz (both great reseller).

Berea kits can be order directly from Berea (read their crafter program, it's really nice, you can order 10 kits of 5 models and have the 50 quantity price discount on everything) or with Ernie at Beartoohwood, again great reseller.

CSUSA kits are ordered directly forn them. Great people to deal with also.

You will fing their link on the home page of IAP.

If you absolutly want to order from Canadian sources, there are Lee Valley that sells Berea kits at 2 to 3 times the cost and Woodchucker. Google them and you will find their site.

They might be some other but i never tried them

I've been ordering from the states for almost two year, totalling about 20 order and never had any problem with mail or custom. Even sometimes, parcel just go thru the custom and you don't have to pay for PST and GST.

Hope this help you

Alfred

Hi Gary,
I agree completely with Alfred. I order from the same people. I would like to buy from a Canadian company - even if it is a little more money. BUT the kit prices in Canada are at least twice the US price (even after taking into account the exchange rate and shipping). Guess where I'm going to buy? I have mentioned this to some companies here (not just for pens and hobby stuff but that's another story) and they give me a song and dance about the high cost of shipping and then lie to me about import duties .... I just tell them "what import duties??" and hang up. They lie to me and then expect me buy from them!?
Sorry, I didn't intend this to become a rant[;)]

wood-of-1kind

I order exclusively through the US suppliers. Both J. Coulombe and Lee Valley are too expensive relative to the US providers. Would dearly love to see a 'local' source that could compete better on the price side.

-Peter-[:)]

badwin

I too would like to find a cheaper Canadian seller. I have never ordered from the states but would like to give it a whirl. When you guys order from our friends south of the border do you ever get nailed duty at the border? By the way I live in Alberta.

http://www3.telus.net/public/goodwinp

wood-of-1kind

Originally posted by badwin
<br />I too would like to find a cheaper Canadian seller. I have never ordered from the states but would like to give it a whirl. When you guys order from our friends south of the border do you ever get nailed duty at the border? By the way I live in Alberta.

The quick answer is "sometimes". I've had some shipments come 'in' without Canada Customs meddling. My experience is that when shipments are made by through USPS they usually get through, but, when using the couriers UPS,FEDEx, PUROLATOR I most always get nabbed and must pay PST, GST and the $5.00 administration fee to the guv'ment.

-Peter-

Boomalia

Thank you to all that replied, I do order from J. Coulombes and your right, he is a very nice guy but it sounds like the way to go is to order from our friends down south. Our dollar is not to bad so I will give it a try.

This is the way it works as I understand it,
There is no “import duty†on pen kits because of the free trade agreement but everything that enters the country is supposed to be subject to the GST of 6% and the PST of 7% (Manitoba). When the package goes through Customs (and they all do â€" even gifts) they are supposed to convert the US $$ value to Can $$ (shipping & handling charges are not supposed to be included) and assess the taxes plus $5 to cover their cost to assess the tax. This tax is the ransom I have to pay before I get my package. Sometimes they apply tax and sometimes they don’t. I’ve had packages valued at $160 NOT taxed and packages valued at $15 taxed. It’s hit and miss. Seems like it depends on what side of the bed they get out of in the morning. Customs can open any package they want but they’ve never opened one of mine.
They did charge 7% excise tax on mine once because they thought it was jewellery!! If that ever happens fill out the back of the customs form and send it in for a refund.
Isn't gov't wonderful??

Hi Gary;
2 of the best places I get my kits from are:
http://woodnwhimsies.com/index.html
http://www.pocwoodworking.com/
Both are very good service and pricing.

I do buy the El Grande kit from Lee Valley as the price in comparable for it. I would like to get all my kits at LV as they have terrific customer service and usually are well priced competitivley.
Cheers
Mike

Just for your interest here is a e-mail I sent to Lee Valley this morning.

Good Morning;
Being a very good Lee Valley customer and supporter I feel Rob would be interested in the topic below from the Pen Forum. I make 100+ pens a year and find I have to get most of my kits from the USA because of the drastic differences in prices.
I recently picked up some El Grande kits from you as the difference was not that much more, but most of your kits are very high in comparison. Here are a couple of comparisons on the same kits.
Twist Pen, ea.
88K70.02
$4.90 $4.15 $3.70 $3.45
Wood & Whimsies $1.59 (1.76 Cdn.)

Extra Large Twist Pen, ea.
88K70.30
$9.45 $8.00 $7.20 $6.65
Wood & Whimsies $3.75 (4.15 Cdn.) Pens of Color $3.79 (4.20)
Mont Blanc Pen, each
88K70.45
$8.10 $6.85 $6.15 $5.70
Wood & Whimsies $2.99 (3.31 Cdn.) Pens of Color $3.35 (3.71)
Here are the links to the 2 comparisons:
http://woodnwhimsies.com/Pen_Kits.htm
http://www.pocwoodworking.com/
Your new Pen Press and Pen Vise are both very well priced. I know most of us would love to be able to buy all our pen supplies from Lee Valley.
Let’s see what can be done in the future.
Thank you for your time
Cheers
Mike Lenton
PS: Still waiting for our Island Store!

comben001

I use to buy my kits from Langevin & Forest here in Montréal. All are PSI kits but the price was extravagant. A fountain pen that sells for 8.95 USD directly from PSI was over 17.00 CDN from them. They just can't compare. Now I buy all my kits from the States. Would love to buy locally and I sense that there would be a business opportunity here !!!!!

bradh

Another source is John at Woodchuckers. He is in Toronto. John carries some kits from Craft Supplies UK. I don't know anyone else on this continent who carries these kits.
www.woodchuckers.com
Brad
HardingPens.com

badwin

Also try http://allinonewood.com

I have ordered from them but I don't think that their kits are as good as leevalley. Fact is leevalley is very good, but very expensive. If any one wanted to get into this business and have reasonable rates they would have my business.
Brian

Here is the reply I got back from Rob Lee at Lee Valley.
Cheers
Mike

Hi Mike â€"

Thanks for the note…

I had a quick look at the pen kit pricing â€" and the two sources you list are both selling kits at well below our cost. I’m pretty sure they’re not the same kits â€" but we’ll take a closer look at them.

Kit prices out of Taiwan have also increased substantially â€" with increases from 20-60% this year… since our stock is “new†â€" we’ve most likely got much higher costs too…

We’re still working on an Island location… it’s been at the top of list for a few years now….

Cheers â€"

Rob Lee

wood-of-1kind

Originally posted by Mike in Nanaimo
<br />Here is the reply I got back from Rob Lee at Lee Valley.
Cheers
Mike

Hi Mike â€"

Thanks for the note…

I had a quick look at the pen kit pricing â€" and the two sources you list are both selling kits at well below our cost. I’m pretty sure they’re not the same kits â€" but we’ll take a closer look at them.

Kit prices out of Taiwan have also increased substantially â€" with increases from 20-60% this year… since our stock is “new†â€" we’ve most likely got much higher costs too…

We’re still working on an Island location… it’s been at the top of list for a few years now….

Cheers â€"
Rob Lee

I visit Lee Valley quite often and can say that they are the Berea kits that they sell. Same ones that we can purchase much, much cheaper through the US. With the strength of the Canadian dollar and the weakening of the US dollar, LV have greater currency power and goes contrary to what Robin is stating in his letter. Let your wallet speak for you and purchase from the US direct. Your dollar will be better stretched in order to purchasing more kits IMO.
-Peter-

badwin

Hey guys I see that Bill at penblanks.ca is now selling pen kits. He is in Ontario. I have ordered blanks from him in the past and have gotten great service.

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom