Can you use a CA finish on ebony?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

finns

Hello, I am fairly new to pen turning and have come up with some black and pink ivory plus I have some blackwood and was wondering how a CA finish would work on these woods. If it doesn't what would be the best for a gloss finish. Thank you for reading.
Brad

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Krash

Shore 'nuf can! Here's my gaboon and striped ebony pen-pencil set finished with CA and BLO.

attachment.php

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 476

mmayo

Yes. This is Gabon ebony with CA.

PenMesaGoldinGabonEbony2lighter_zps970ea1b7.jpg

I have had great success with pink ivory too. +1 on cleaning the blank with denatured alcohol before starting CA application.

finns

Those are some unbelieveably beautiful pens! Thank you for the replies! Just found that my bench top drill press does not have enough quill to drill the blanks and I have not set up my floor drill press so I need to get it together and hopefully make something that resembles what you have done.
Brad

Jim Burr

Banned
Those are some unbelieveably beautiful pens! Thank you for the replies! Just found that my bench top drill press does not have enough quill to drill the blanks and I have not set up my floor drill press so I need to get it together and hopefully make something that resembles what you have done.
Brad

Are you able to set up drilling on you lathe Brad? Not always easier, but much more accurate.

Top Bottom