Can you turn acrylic with EWT tools?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Carl Fisher

I have had a request to make a pen from a leopard acrylic blank. I haven't turned acrylic yet so I'm not sure what to expect from it.

Can I turn acrylic with the EWT tools, or do I have to go the gouge/skew route? I'm not terribly comfortable with a skew yet but I don't want to have tear out from the scraping action of the carbide scraper.

Any pointer in the right direction would be great. Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
The best pointer I could give you---don't START with leopard. Turn some RhinoPlastic or other less expensive Polyresins first.

No one can TELL you how to turn plastics and the leopard will turn more like Polyresin than acrylic (it is a resin, but a unique feel).

Carl Fisher

I have the R2 on there and I'm very comfortable with any of the woods I've turned so far. Maybe I'll pick up a couple of cheaper acrylics first to practice on. I wasn't thrilled with the idea of blowing out a $12 blank as a trial. I didn't know it was drastically different but definitely good to know.

Carl Fisher

Hi Ed.

I saw the leopard blank in PSI, but also noticed you have a much nicer one available. I assume that is the one you are saying not to start with? I assume any of your Rhino blanks would be a good choice to start with? I see quite a few there that I would love to turn into some nice pens and would make good practice blanks for the price.

Top Bottom