Can you tell me what wood these blanks are made from?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bigthin13

Hi there! I'm just starting out in the world of pen turning and purchased a pack of 12 blanks. I know there's probably nothing in there that's too special since I only paid $10.00 for all 12 blanks but I'd like to know what types of wood these blanks are cut from since the package didn't have any information. If you could help me out, I'd really appreciate it! Thank you so much for your time!

Attachments

• thumbnail_image1.jpg
    thumbnail_image1.jpg
    288.7 KB · Views: 254
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
4 is purpleheart, 9 likely walnut 5 likely paduak 6 likely yellowheart

guess 1 maple
guess 12 holly

Last edited:

bigthin13

Thanks A TON for all of the help so far! I really appreciate it! Still looking for possible ID's on numbers 2 and 7. Thanks again!

1080Wayne

Agree with Ed on 1, 4, 5, 9 and 12 , Mal on 3 , Charlie on 10 . Note the liklies and maybes . Padouk , walnut and sapele all have different but distinctive fairly strong smells when sanded . Is 12 a little bit blue/gray or is that a lighting or camera angle effect ?
That leaves 2 and 7 for me to guess at , and as usual I haven`t a clue .

leehljp

Member Liaison
7 looks like ash. (baseball bat ash) 12 looks like holly. 1 & 10 look like maple. the lighting affects the colors further out from the center. 3 "reminds" me of some hairy oak that I have but the grain is a bit closer on that blank.

Last edited:

1080Wayne

Hank probably correct on 7 . One of the best ways to distinguish between woods is their end grain appearance . It is a bit more basic to a tree than skin colour because it shows their internal structure . Sand an end on each to at least 220 grit and give us another picture . (No need to do 4 - we are positive about that one .)

Another important wood characteristic is density . Which ones are significantly heavier or lighter than the average of those you have ?

Last edited:

bigthin13

Agree with Ed on 1, 4, 5, 9 and 12 , Mal on 3 , Charlie on 10 . Note the liklies and maybes . Padouk , walnut and sapele all have different but distinctive fairly strong smells when sanded . Is 12 a little bit blue/gray or is that a lighting or camera angle effect ?
That leaves 2 and 7 for me to guess at , and as usual I haven`t a clue .
12 is the white-ist out of all of them so it must have just been the camera :-/

bigthin13

7 looks like ash. (baseball bat ash) 12 looks like holly. 1 & 10 look like maple. the lighting affects the colors further out from the center. 3 "reminds" me of some hairy oak that I have but the grain is a bit closer on that blank.
Number 1 has darker rings on the end and they're pretty close together whereas number 10 has faint rings that are almost a yellowish color and they're a lot farther apart that 1. I tried taking a picture but the flash makes some of the middle ones look totally white and for the life of me, I can't get a good shot that shows them all.

bigthin13

Here are the best end pictures I could get.....

Attachments

• thumbnail_image2.jpg
    thumbnail_image2.jpg
    385.2 KB · Views: 133
  • thumbnail_image1 (1).jpg
    thumbnail_image1 (1).jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 121

jttheclockman

I would like to make a couple suggestions being it looks like you are just getting into this. When ever buying pen blanks no matter who they are from weather it is someone here or a vendor. Make sure you ask them to label the blanks or do not buy them. Way too many people selling blanks on the market today. If they can not bother to label not worth buying from. Or else you end up like this guessing. Some are obvious but others can be many different varieties.

Other thing is take the photos outside in natural light not sunlight. It will give you the best chance of telling. An angle like you last photos is best because it gives us a look at the end grain and flat grain at the same time.

Now these are just suggestions so do not shoot the messenger.:)

I believe 3-lacewood
4-purpleheart
5-padauk
6-yellowheart
7-white oak or ash
9-walnut
11-bloodwood (todays version of it being sold)

educated guess #1 maple, #10-cherry, #12-holly

If you could seperate those and have the rest group to get a better look

Last edited:

1080Wayne

Well , 12 is definitely holly , 3 most likely Brazilian lacewood but could be leopardwood . Distance apart between growth rings largely a function of available moisture and soil fertility . Both maples and cherry can vary widely in that respect . Relative hardness of the two to your thumbnail ?

John`s advice on labeling and photography is excellent . Does raise a question though . Have you asked the person or store you bought them from what they are ?

Last edited:

robutacion

Well , 12 is definitely holly , 3 most likely Brazilian lacewood but could be leopardwood . Distance apart between growth rings largely a function of available moisture and soil fertility . Both maples and cherry can vary widely in that respect . Relative hardness of the two to your thumbnail ?

John`s advice on labeling and photography is excellent . Does raise a question though . Have you asked the person or store you bought them from what they are ?

That is exactly what I was thinking...!

Cheers
George

bigthin13

I got them from rockler and the information doesn't give the individual information. It just says an assortment

Top Bottom