Can You shorten Sierra pen Tubes and blanks?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Marker

Why I ask is because when I drilled this yellow dino bones Tru-Stone blank it chipped. I guess My bit was just too dull.

This is the cutoff from the Guardian pen that I just recently posted with Yellow Dino Bones Tru-Stone.

Why I drilled it off center is to avoid a small imperfection in the blank.

I just would like to know if I can shorten the block about 3/16" so I can turn it. Will the Sierra pen still function properly?

Thanks

Attachments

• 093.jpg
    093.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 169
  • 094.jpg
    094.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 117
  • 095.jpg
    095.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 105
  • 096.jpg
    096.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 117
  • 057.jpg
    057.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 164
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

The Penguin

probably not - I had a sierra that I buggered up by less than the 3/16 you're asking about and went ahead and finished the assembly.

the pen is very difficult to twist to open. It's in a cup on my workbench to remind me not to do that again.

maybe a chance for a "design opportunity" - put a band at the end.

KenV

The "Standard" Sierra has some flexibility in length. I have used about 1/8th short. Top Twist varieties are very sensitive to length though.

Short tubes are used for the Sierra Pencil and the Elegent Sierra Click

The standard click sierra can be sortened to about 1.8 inches so it uses a standard parker refill (same tube length as Elegent Sierra Click).

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Woudn't advise it.

If the block is about 2.16 inches, you can use it for a Le Roi Elegant if it is 2.20 plus or minus, it will probably work for a Sierra Style but check it close against the tube length. That style can be touchy adding a narrow band at one end or the other to the blank would probably be a better choice and might even look pretty nice.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Boy, sure sign of new members----nobody even says, "Oooppps ring"!!

Long ago, when things went south, we added "features" to the pen---a decorative ring a the top or bottom or both.

These became affectionately known as "ooops rings". Or "design opportunities"!!

Marker

The block is 2.226" long so if shortened it by 3/16 it would be apprx 2.038.

I may not need to go a full 3/16" I will just trim a little off with my bandsaw until the bushing will clear.

I like the Idea of adding black band to each end, I may go that route.

Dorno

The Black Band on each end would be a great option because I have seen a few guys the have trimmed the tube down to far and once the Sierra was put together the refil did not retract far enough back into the pen and this was caused by the tube being to short.

Cheers ian

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam
Mark: On a Sierra, the length of the tube has NOTHING to do with the retraction of the ink. The tranny attaches to the writing tip. You could use a one inch tube and blank and the pen would still function. It would be very difficult, though, to get a one inch blank to go all the way to the writing tip.:biggrin:
Assemble your pen without a blank and measure from the top of writing tip to the clip base. That is the minimum you can use. The measurement I got on one of my Sierra kits is 1 31/32 (1.907 if you wish more precise:rolleyes:). But check your own. There may even be a difference in the Sierra, Elegant Sierra, Sierra Elegant Beauty, etc.

Last edited:

toddlajoie

I don't know the exact numbers, but a few of the sierra varieties (IIRC the elegant clicks or similar, NOT the standard clicks) have significantly shorter tubes...

PenMan1

Boy, sure sign of new members----nobody even says, "Oooppps ring"!!

Long ago, when things went south, we added "features" to the pen---a decorative ring a the top or bottom or both.

These became affectionately known as "ooops rings". Or "design opportunities"!!

How the heck do you think segmenting was invented:)
Oh no!!!!.....not again.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Only on the bbl twist versions

Mark: On a Sierra, the length of the tube has NOTHING to do with the retraction of the ink. The tranny attaches to the writing tip. You could use a one inch tube and blank and the pen would still function. It would be very difficult, though, to get a one inch blank to go all the way to the writing tip.:biggrin:
Assemble your pen without a blank and measure from the top of writing tip to the clip base. That is the minimum you can use. The measurement I got on one of my Sierra kits is 1 31/32 (1.907 if you wish more precise:rolleyes:). But check your own. There may even be a difference in the Sierra, Elegant Sierra, Sierra Elegant Beauty, etc.
The finial twist styles of Sierra i.e Le Roi, Gatsby are sensitive to tube length because the transmission is on the other end of the pen.

johncrane

I would 1st glue the tube in then sand off the corners of the blank using a coarse grit sandpaper then mix the sanding dust with some black pigment/paint and med ca glue then fill the void, i think the black would blend in well.

Top Bottom