Can you make a pen out of cottonwood bark

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

paprgypc

I picked up a piece of cottonwood bark and started trimming in with a knife, then did some sanding. The attached images are what I have after putting on a light coat of oil and some CA. Looks like a pen could be made from this stuff. What do you think

Dimension would be pen blank size or larger.

Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Attachments

• IMG_3029_1_1_1.jpg
    IMG_3029_1_1_1.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_3030_2_1_1.jpg
    IMG_3030_2_1_1.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 220
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dale

I know that the cottonwood Bark is nice looking after it is finished but I think it would be too soft for a pen.. it would probably get dents and such after some use.
I carve it and it is easy to carve but never thought about pens out of it.

dale

workinforwood

I have lots and have made some pens, even scrolled some pens from it. It is very soft for turning. It'll soak up the CA which will harden it. So..it's ok, but it's nothing I'd call spectacular to look at, it is rather dark and bland when finished. My opinion is to stick to carving tree spirits from it.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I made a pen from fresh but thick pecan bark. No reason you can't. I dried it in the microwave first and then made a pen. Looked good and different.

mickr

I've always associated it with carving..why don't you make one & give us all the scoop pros & cons

DurocShark

I'd love to try it!

Any material is a candidate for pens. If it doesn't look the way you like, turn it off the tube(s) and do something else.

Top Bottom