Can you laugh at your own CA blunders?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

toddlajoie

So I've heard of many others drastic CA mishaps, ears, fingers and hands bonded to various things, and absolutely none of them were anything to laugh at I'm sure. Maybe in retrospect, after a period of time, but otherwise, there is nothing funny about being glued to your bench with the de-bonder just out of reach...

I've been lucky up till now, and while coming close to gluing a couple fingers together, I've always managed to get them apart a split second before they harden, and have never had anything worse than a good hard layer on my skin for a few days. Today that changed, but I was lucky enough to have it happen in a way that I could laugh at WHEN it happened instead of days later... Local store had a sale on a different brand of CA than I usually use, so I had a brand new bottle of a new type than I usually use. The old brand had a threaded cap, so I've gotten in the habit of picking up the bottle by the cap, then removing the cap and using the glue. This new brand has a press on cap with a small "nail" in it to keep the nozzle clear, but I also bought the larger bottle, since I've been going through it like gatoraid at a marathon. So I pick up the new bottle by the cap and it drops to the floor and rolls under the bench. Pick it up and apply it. Cap it and put it down. apply accelerator, repeat (everything, including dropping the bottle) 4 or 5 times not thinking abut it. At some point, I shifted my feet, and after a while went to shift them again, and couldn't... Apparently when the bottle hit the floor, some got out and sat there, waiting for something to attach to... Luckily my feet are thick skinned, so they're short a few layers of skin in a couple places, but none the worse for the wear, but LOML did stick her head out to find out what was so funny....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Barefoot in my shop would not be a good thing, too many shattered pieces of "stuff" lying around. Maybe if I kept a cleaner shop but I don't think so.

PenMan1

A lot less embarrassing than glueing a tie and both hands to the lathe AND THEN letting the GD bomb fly with the preacher in the shop!

toddlajoie

LOL... never even had a second thought about barefoot. Lathe is in the garage, and I keep the floor pretty clean, other than the requisite 3-4 inches of expensive burl and acrylic shavings, and now a few shiny CA spots... I tend to stay barefoot as much as possible when the weather permits, except for when I have to enter a store or go to work...Just more comfortable... Even in the winter, I'm usually just wearing socks out there...

DurocShark

I have to wear at least sandals. I turn aluminum and brass too and little shards of metal are all over the place. No matter how hard I try to clean it...

Paladin

CA Blunders...

I wore a latex glove on my right hand to hold the paper towel while I applied CA glue to the finished pen spinning on the lathe. The tip of one finger touched the still wet CA glue and the latex stuck and tried to pull my hand into the spinning lathe. I reacted quickly and pulled back, but the wet blank got most of my glove.

Had to use a skew to rescue the latex wrapped pen blank.

Here is the capper, it happened more than once. :question:

ToddMR

Wow bare feet? Not brave enough to do that. I have done sandals but won't even do that anymore due to the saw dust etc getting in them. I have glued blue shop towel pieces to my fingers in the past. It stays on there for a while sometimes too. Lucky for me never glued myself or other stuff to me to the point of needing debonder. hehe

Brooks803

my workshop has a dedicated pair of old sneakers that have several drops of CA plus whatever falls on it and is not glued. they NEVER make their way into the rest of the house.

Parson

A lot less embarrassing than glueing a tie and both hands to the lathe AND THEN letting the GD bomb fly with the preacher in the shop!

It's not that bad to cuss around a preacher. They're always asking God for specific ways to pray for people they care about, and you're just helping him out when you think about it.

Feel free to drink scotch around him too.

Now getting back to the thread's original topic, I charged a guy an extra $20 for a pen I made, saying "that one will cost you more because it contains real human skin. I kid you not!"

Respect the really sticky and stinky stuff in the little bottles!

1080Wayne

Any of you guys ever have any safety training ?? The competition you are having to see who can be the first to skewer a foot with a dropped skew is not one I`m going to enter . Only steel toed boots around my lathe .

phillywood

Any of you guys ever have any safety training ?? The competition you are having to see who can be the first to skewer a foot with a dropped skew is not one I`m going to enter . Only steel toed boots around my lathe .
well, Ithink they have been palying on the side of luck so far. I caught my little left toe around the leg of the chir in the dining room 3 yrs ago and couldn't walk on it for a long time and istill hurt form time to time now, and I droped a box cutter trying to install the siding and it cut trough my shoe (sneakers) and I have a prett good scar form it. I side with you, steel toe or don't go to the shop. Specailly, that now we all play with those non forgivable sharp tools. :frown:

Rfturner

That is a little funny about the superglued foot.

There are two rules to always follow in the any type of shop setting, safety glasses and closed toe shoes, I have had blanks fly apart where my safety glasses saved my eyes and I have stepped on a nail or two that went clear through my sole, luckily they did not puncture the skin but if I was bare foot they would have gone mostly through. Be safe out there

Daniel

You can laugh at your CA blunders only if it is not your lips you glued together.
I am in my shop bare footed all the time. I even go to my shop in my pajamas. it is not uncommon to find me out there at 4 in the morning, no shoes. in pajamas and a T-shirt just farting around. when I really start working though I put on Jeans and boots.
By the way you are not the first to step in a puddle of CA, Just the first to admit it.
I think my biggest glue misshap lately has been a bottle of Gorilla Glue that got a small puncture in it while setting on the shelf. before I discovered itm it had bonded every box, tool or do dad on the shelf for about 12 inches in each direction. my shop is now earthquake proof.

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
I like to turn naked...............................................................................

(not really, but sort of picture you will never get out of your head):biggrin:

TomW

One day I had a complex glue up going on. I called LOML into the shop to help hold some stuff....superglued her to the workbench...actually thought of "taking advantage" of the situation, but as the glue continued to cure, the heat caused the gaud affullest screaming I've ever heard....

Tom

PenMan1

You drop one of Ken Ferrell's Woodchuck tools on a bare foot and you have just had a bad day. Those are some sharp tools!

Fred

I like to turn naked...............................................................................

Is the distance between the line "I like to turn naked ..." and the second line "(not really, but ....", significant in some way?

Must be a cold shop! :eek:

heinedan

CA Glue

I haven't had any of the funny mishaps a few others have experienced, but I do find that CA Drops are on almost all of my clothes!!

Dan

toddlajoie

Ok, next meeting, you take ONE STEP in the direction of a lathe, and I'm leaving...

Top Bottom