Can you adjust it?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

EdwinSSIV

Yesterday I turned a cigar pen...but when you twist the point out it does not come out as far as I like...
Can you adjust to have the pen come out farther?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ron Mc

Also...take something that you can clean the nib out with. Some kits will have a build up of finish that wont let the refill come all the way out.

M

Mudder

You can also gain a little by taking out the black ring at the nib end and carefully sanding it down or remove it completely to gain 1/8"

Randy_

You probably don't want to do the shim thing if this is a pen you plan to sell or give as a gift. Problem with disassembling the pen and trimming the barrel is that the barrel has a pretty good taper at the tip and if you trim off very much, the wood will be proud of the tip. I'm not sure if the trim ring has tapered or straight sides; but you might run into the same problem if you sand it. Unless it is a big problem for you, you might just want to live with it.

Pipes

Originally posted by EdwinSSIV
<br />Yesterday I turned a cigar pen...but when you twist the point out it does not come out as far as I like...
Can you adjust to have the pen come out farther?

First one I did was yesterday I thought the same thing but !!!! BUT I gave it all a good tighten up and it came out the perfect length . and I gave the transmission a twist past the stop once ant it poped out even MORE duno why !! This was one a those $2.95 Berea kits from AZ !! looks great very nice easy kit to do IMO ..

EdwinSSIV

Thanks for all the reply's...
After going through and checking everything, trim to the brass, pressed completly...I decided to sand down the trim ring a little and it worked great! Being small it was a little hard to work with off the pen so I put it back on the pen, un-screwed it a little, held it with the tips of my fingers behind trim ring so it would not turn and sanded it on the disc sander with the rest to keep it straight.

Randy...I was concerned about the taper of the ring but you can hardly notice the difference. I will post a picture if you wnat to see it.

Skye

For future refrence, I take off the transmission, at the brass end that screws into the lower end, sand down that threaded end the same ammount you want the refill to extend. So long as you dont booger the threads, it'll force the refill deeper into the lower end extending the tip.

Best thing about it is it looks exactly the same as the other pens and you dont have to disassemble the pen to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom