Can someone help me figure out what the heck this is???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Brooks803

I got this along with other blanks as a prize for a pen contest I was in on another forum. I really don't know how to explain what it is so maybe someone here can give me some help.:confused:

Attachments

• 100_9202.jpg
    100_9202.jpg
    401 KB · Views: 544
  • 100_9203.jpg
    100_9203.jpg
    331.4 KB · Views: 447
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I got this along with other blanks as a prize for a pen contest I was in on another forum. I really don't know how to explain what it is so maybe someone here can give me some help.:confused:
It appears to me to be a laminated wood called "Paralam". It's used mainly for long run rafters as it is very strong. Your piece appears to be cross-cut. I have no idea how you might turn it.:confused:

rjwolfe3

I think it is some engineered wood but I have never seen it with that many gaps before. You might want to throw some resin in it to fill the gaps.

KenV

It may have been a reject section of paralam -- what I have seen has been much more solid. Makes bowls with a different exterior that I have seen. Should make a decent pen if the voids are filled. Got some resin to do a "worthless wood" style fill??

sbwertz

It is an engineered wood called "parallam"

I got a couple in a trade box from Jimm1. One of them blew up in the drill press and I haven't tried to turn the other one.

Sharon

jskeen

Parallam is a brand name, like q-tip or frigidair, but it is often used as a generic description of LVL or laminated veneer lumber. LVL is manufactured for a ton of different purposes, using different processes for each specification. This piece looks like it was probably cut from a lvl that was designed to be a non weight bearing member. Parallam brand is usually spec'd for high strength structural applications and is indeed much denser.

Brooks803

thanks everyone for the help! I do have resin and a pressure pot to help keep it stable...the block is large enough to make 3 - 3/4" x 5 1/2" blanks. We'll see what I can come up with.

hewunch

If you would have PMed me I could have told you and spared you the embarrassment. Because, I am fairly certain, it is a .... PRIZE! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Top Bottom