Can someone advise?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

bkc

I'm getting ready to order the stuff to make a couple Havana ballpoint pens from CSUSA. On the page for it they list two drill bits, 27/64 and a 35/64. But when I found an 'accessory kit' to use (bushings and bits), it says the bit sizes are 31/64 and 35/64. So what do I need???? I sure don't want to buy one that isn't needed [:I]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

When you call in the order tell them of the different bit sizes on the website and let them sort it out. I would help but I've not made the ball point in that kit so I have no first hand knowledge. They need to make the corrections and would probably like to know of the mistake.
Do a good turn daily!Don
Originally posted by bkc
<br />I'm getting ready to order the stuff to make a couple Havana ballpoint pens from CSUSA. On the page for it they list two drill bits, 27/64 and a 35/64. But when I found an 'accessory kit' to use (bushings and bits), it says the bit sizes are 31/64 and 35/64. So what do I need???? I sure don't want to buy one that isn't needed [:I]

Rifleman1776

Best advice possible: Don't do Havana's. They are nothing but problems. Parts often don't fit. Turning can be a pain, tiny overcuts will ruin a project. As you have seen, with this kit, CS doesn't have their act together. Confusing/conflicting drill bit size reccomendations are only part of the problems you may encounter.

bgray

The lesson that I've learned when it comes to which bits for which kits....

Ignore the instructions. There's PLENTY of kits out there that truly do not have a drill bit recommendation that it appropriate.

Use your calipers, drill some test holes, and figure out the best bit for yourself.

Unfortunately, sometimes this means getting into the letter bits, or odd millimeter bits....for example, the Churchill/El Grande cap is best drilled with a 13.3mm bit.

It's unfortunate, but most companies have at least one pen with a poor bit recommendation, my opinion.

Randy_

I think you are going to find that the 27/64" bit is for the barrel of the "BALLPOINT" pen and the 31/64" bit is for drilling the barrels of the rollerball and the fountain pen and for the Little Havana. But it certainly wouldn't hurt to double check with the CSUSA customer service people.

redfishsc

CSUSA just has a bizzare reputation for giving wrong drill bit recommendations.

The caliper advise above is the trick. Digital calipers can be bought at Harbor Freight pretty doggone cheap.

FWIW, I am not a fan of the Havana. I made one rollerball. I would only make another if someone requested it.

bkc

I guess I'll need to wait until Monday then to give them a call. I did send an email. Didn't notice they didn't have any weekend hours.

I'd probably of passed on the Havana myself, but it was a special request. So I'll give it a shot. I don't see any other places that sell the kit either [B)]

hilltopper46

I have made a couple Havana ball points and don't have the experience that Frank relates above. They made beautiful pens that I have received a lot of compliments from. If you look at the downloadable instructions for the ball point, the correct drill size is listed in them. Link to the instructions from CSUSA's home page.

bkc

Thanks Hilltopper! I did (finally) check the directions and it is the 27/64, not the 31/64. So I'll have to call in the order to make sure they supply the correct bits with the accessory kit. I've only made one pen so far, so I get lost easily with all this stuff (did I mention I'm blond too? lol)

gerryr

I'm made and sold several Havana ballpoints and have never had problem with parts not fitting or anything else tht Frank mentions. BUT, if you've only made one pen, I would not recommend the Havana as your second pen. Make some cigars instead. They're almost foolproof and are less expensive than the Havana.

bkc

I think the first pen (and only so far) pen I made was a classic american double twist. Is the havana much more complicated? If I go REAL slow and follow the directions I should do okay, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom