Can this be repaired?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

allen_m

<<<New Guy Alert>>>

Pardon the duplication as this was originally part of this thread in introductions; however...

I have an Omas Marconi rollerball (well used..!) with damage to the cap that neither Omas nor the Fountain Pen Hospital can repair…
Photo below- cap is chipped…
Is it hopeless, or can this type of damage be repaired?
Omas.png

Thanks in advance,

-Allen M.
Bisbee, AZ

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ssajn

Local Chapter Leader
I'd like to see inside the cap before answering but I'm sure "Where there's a will there's a way"

I screw up enough stuff I can usually fix anything. :biggrin:

ragz

possibly do you know what material it is i.e. ebonite, bakelite, etc?

can you mic the wall thickness? depending on what it is made of you could maybe turn a small replacement part and insert it under the gold center band
it looks like the threads are well past the end of the cap. I'm thinking maybe a piece of jet black acrylic no more then 1/4 tall to insert and bond under the band. it will still be rather delicate on that area though.

allen_m

possibly do you know what material it is i.e. ebonite, bakelite, etc?
Sorry, I don't know... Per Omas:
...fashioned from special resin in an original and exclusive midnight blue, recalling the deepest space surrounding the Earth...
can you mic the wall thickness?
The thinnest part (see photo below) is really thin... About .026"... At about .053 in from the edge, it gets thicker, nearly .045... A close-up shows more is about to break off; and, seems to show why it broke in the first place... The threads are indeed well inside the cap...

Omas_2.png

Thanks for any suggestions... Perhaps simply turning off the broken edge flush with the gold trim would be a solution...?

srf1114

That might be a solution, but their isn't any coming back if you do it wrong. Is that lip holding the collar on? If you remove the lip will the collar be loose?

ragz

if you just remove what is left of the ring I think you'll be left with a gap between the body and cap. It would be a small one but still a gap.

you might be able to remove what is left and replace it with some acrylic but the color match would be tough.

maybe better to retire it to collection....

Top Bottom