Can Not Find Correct Tubes for This Kit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

JimBobTucson

9/19/07 - I thank eveyone for their input. I think "Edmans2" guess of a Hut Products pen is right on the mark. I ordered some replacement tubes from them last night. I will update this post with the results.

Thanx Again, JB

9/18/07 - I recently acquired about dozen pen kits, minus tubes. I was told that the kit used 10mm tubes, and have since purchased some 10mm tubes from WoodTurningz.com. When I received the tubes, I found that the diameter was too large. I decided to try 3/8†tubes, but find them to be too small. Does anyone have an idea where I can find tubes that will work with this kit?

I can not identify any sort of brand name for these kits. The only information I have about these kits calls them “Parker Style Rollerball†pens, and has a copyright date of 1994 by Thomas C. Hutchinson.

The measurement of the couplers and bushings all appear to be 9.0mm +/- 0.1mm

200791822127_10mm%20tubes.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Firefyter-emt

It's a CSUSA kit, you can tell by that stupid plastic snap coupler they use. My bushings measure 23/64" (or just a hair over 9mm)

The tubes are PN: 050-9160
BTW, save yourself now and just order the special "nib adjuster tool" they sell for the plastic cap, it is well worth the cost as you can damage the nib adjuster insert without it.

gerryr

Berea also makes a snap cap rollerball, at least the last time I saw their catalog it was in there. If the refill says Hauser, it's more than likely Berea, if it says Schmidt, it is probably CSUSA. And, a #2 Phillips screwdriver can also be used to adjust the coupler.

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
Jim,
I don't really know but the clue might be in the copyright. Check www.hutproducts.com. The <u>Hut</u>chison name might be the clue. Just a thought.

Randy_

Originally posted by edman2
<br />Jim,
I don't really know but the clue might be in the copyright. Check www.hutproducts.com. The <u>Hut</u>chison name might be the clue. Just a thought.

Hut is mostly if not completely a Berea reseller.

Randy_

Originally posted by gerryr
<br />Berea also makes a snap cap rollerball, at least the last time I saw their catalog it was in there. If the refill says Hauser, it's more than likely Berea, if it says Schmidt, it is probably CSUSA. And, a #2 Phillips screwdriver can also be used to adjust the coupler.

Good tip about the refills, Gerry!!

Hard to tell from the picture; but the clip looks more like the CSUSA kit than the Berea kit to my eye?? It will be interesting to see how this shakes out!!

Firefyter-emt

Ok, I stand corrected! I have not noticed they made snap caps before. How about the tube size then? The bushings he measured match the CUUSA kit, and others have said that the PSI kit is 10mm so the PSI is out, is the Berea kit 10mm??

Randy_

Originally posted by Firefyter-emt
<br />Ok, I stand corrected! I have not noticed they made snap caps before. How about the tube size then? The bushings he measured match the CSUSA kit, and others have said that the PSI kit is 10mm so the PSI is out, is the Berea kit 10mm??

Yeah; but the CSUSA catalog calls for a 10mm drill bit for their snap kit which would seem to eliminate CSUSA as well??

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Originally posted by JimBobTucson
<br />[purple]
9/19/07 - I thank eveyone for their input. I think "Edmans2" guess of a Hut Products pen is right on the mark. I ordered some replacement tubes from them last night. I will update this post with the results.

Thanx Again, JB

If you would call them and talk with Larry he could tell you whether he handled that product, based on the "Hutchinson, 1994" info.

Randy_

The easiest way to figure out if this is a CSUSA kit or a Berea/Hut kit is to look at the bushings. The Berea/Hut bushings are going to require a "B" mandrel and will be way loose on the 7mm mandrel used by CSUSA.

JimBob: If you don't already have a "B" mandrel, you better check your bushings. If they are "B" bushings, you better order a "B" mandrel along with those tubes or you will still have a problem!! Hut calls that mandrel the Ameroclassic mandrel.

Randy_

<br />.....The measurement of the couplers and bushings all appear to be 9.0mm +/- 0.1mm.

I'm just a hair curious about above measurement? Most calipers and micrometers are capable of measuring to 0.001" or 1/100 of a mm. I even have a $2 plastic vernier that will measure to 0.05mm. Just wondering if there is a typo in your stated measurement or if there is some other explanation for the "loose" ± limits? Thanks.

JimBobTucson

<b>Randy_, There is nothing wrong with the calipers. It is the variations between the two couplers and the clip bushing. Sometimes these modern tools are too accurate for their own good. Thanx, JB</b>

Randy_

Originally posted by Firefyter-emt
<br />It's a CSUSA kit, you can tell by that stupid plastic snap coupler they use. My bushings measure 23/64" (or just a hair over 9mm)

Did you use a caliper or a micrometer for that measurement or just eyeball it with a scale??

When just a few thousandths makes a significant difference, your 23/64" is actually a lot closer to 9.2mm than 9.0mm

Randy_

<br /><b>Randy_, There is nothing wrong with the calipers. It is the variations between the two couplers and the clip bushing. Sometimes these modern tools are too accurate for their own good. Thanx, JB</b>

Jim: Guess I am still a little confused. ± 0.1mm is a variance of of almost 0.008". That is an awful lot!! Those pen fittings should all be within a thousandth or two if they are properly manufactured. It has been my experience that fittings are about 1-2 thousandths over tube ID to establish a good press fit. If your hardware varies by as much as you suggest, pressing it into the tubes could be a problem.

JimBobTucson

<b>The tolerance was a bit exaggerated, the range is only 0.09mm. The actual measurements of couplers and bushing are as follows:

Threaded coupler (nib) - 8.95mm
Reducer coupler - 8.99mm
Brass Clip Bushing (finial) - 9.04mm

All three items are made from different materials (plated, painted, and brass), which probably accounts for some of the range in tolerance.

</b>

Rifleman1776

There is more time and talk being invested in this thread than the kits are worth. Hard to understand why someone would invest in kits sans tubes, especially when style and sizes are unknown. I hope not too much was spent on these. Trash worthy, IMHO. BTW, Jim Bob, please change your font color. That purple is awful and very annoying.

Randy_

Frank: Some of us just hate to throw out anything that still has some utility(within reason) and some of us have more time than money.

I rescued a weed eater from a trash pile this spring intending to scavenge for a few spare parts. Turned out there was almost nothing wrong with the unit. I spent about a half hours work and dab of JB Weld and the thing has performed like a champ for most of the summer. Gave it to my SIL who has even less money than I do.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Watch your step there, Randy!!!!

Frank spells weedeater

H-O-R-S-E -

and if you get behind it, you get kicked or shi____ on!!![;)][;)][;)][;)]

Randy_

Ed: My grandfather was a dairy farmer and was still using horses for some farm chores when I was a kid. We were taught that "BOTH" ends of a horse could be dangerous and to be avoided.

I once got steped on by a cow; but, at least, never had one bite me!![:D]

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by ed4copies
<br />Watch your step there, Randy!!!!

Frank spells weedeater

H-O-R-S-E -

and if you get behind it, you get kicked or shi____ on!!![;)][;)][;)][;)]

Ed, you have no idea how accurate is. Except, I spelled it d-o-n-k-e-y and it nearly cost me my life. [:0] Short version: 5 weeks hospitalization, 24 doctors, three surgeries, buckets of blood replacement. But, I digress. Were we talking about pennies worth of tubes or something? [;)]

Randy_

Originally posted by Rifleman1776
<br />.....Were we talking about pennies worth of tubes or something? [;)]

Actually, we are talking about a dozen kits which would cost somewhere between $95 and $160 to replace depending on the plating vs. buying replacement tubes which will cost about $12! Seems like a smart deal to me??

JimBobTucson

I want to thank everyone again for helping me out here. As I mentioned earlier, I ordered some new tubs from Hut. The kits turned out to be Hut Products - Ameroclassic Rollerball Pen - Upgrade 24k Gold kit (item #0522). The tubes arrived today and they are a perfect fit (OD 9.30mm). I finally have some new kits to play around with.

20079220464_Ameri-Seg001_640x480_edited_320x173.jpg
<br />

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom