Can I save this Roman Harvest?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PSNCO

I'm turning a Roman Harvest Rollerball with a TruStone blank on it.

The cap portion turned beautifully.

I was just about done with the lower barrel when I caught and chipped out about .15" to .18 of an inch on the one end.

Now that's likely too much for a rollerball to shave off and save the pen.

Can I shave down the length of the barrel and by about .175 - .200" and put a fountain pen nib on it and assemble it just fine?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PSNCO

it's .19" shorter of a tube finished.

Don, I know I could do that, but I don't want to go in that direction.

Will switching it to a fountain pen work?

A G2 refill is supposedly shorter in length than a Schmidt rollerball refill. Would that work?

SteveG

When you add a SINGLE "Fix It" band, most often it looks like what it is. So you save the pen project, but it is much less than ideal.

Don spoke well. I provide a bit more to that excellent suggestion. If you add the necessary band, but also do the same on the opposite end of the pen (not the same barrel piece, in this case the second band would be added to the cap), then you end up with a result that looks like it was part of the plan all along, and is often an upgrade to your original design.

Try it...you will like it!

SteveG

Mark, your second post came as I was doing mine. For the second part, yes, you can go with a fountain pen. It will obviously change the visual balance, so you just have to decide if you like that. Most "kit" FP's allow enough space for a cartridge in use and a spare inside the barrel. You may loose that. You should also measure it all out to see if a converter will still fit with the shorter barrel. For rollerballs, there are shorter styles available (I can not give particulars) that will work. One refill allows the tip to extend out farther, and does not look good to my eye. So you have options...some others may provide specific details of suitable refills to substitute. I hope it goes well!

Charlie69

A G2 refill is supposedly shorter in length than a Schmidt rollerball refill. Would that work?

the G2 and Schmidt are the same size. I was thinking you could trim the blank as needed, remove the cap off the back of the refill, clip off .19", reinstall the cap and call it good. The schmidt refill is black/opaque so I can't tell if it would work with that but there is definitely enough empty space at the end of a G2 or Uni-ball 207 refill to remove .19".

Dan Masshardt

It will work with the fountain nib and a cartridge I'd think. Just see if the converter will still fit.

You could also modify a ballpoint refill to fit.

It's prob still too tight but you could also try to cut the spring in half. See if the refill fits at all with no spring to start.

Top Bottom