Can anyone help me identify this wood?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DonWood

Hi Everyone - I got this piece of wood from a friend who asked me to make him a click from it. Neither he nor I know what it is. I am hoping that this picture is clear enough for someone to identify it.

Could it be ambrosia maple? This fellow got the wood from a pallet.

Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• mysterywood.jpg
    mysterywood.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 354
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mick

Without rotating it a little to see another "side" of the grain it could be a lot of woods. While I can't say for sure it's NOT maple, it looks a lot more like Sycamore.

Daniel

That there is found wood. I have a big box of it in my shop. comes in every color of the rainbow. any blank in my shop that has had the marking identifying it worn off goes in that box. Even if I have no trouble identifying it. I sort of have a standard of tracking the identity of a blank and if that chain is broken I will make it into other things but not a pen. I want to be able to know the material in my pens. makes it hard sometimes when I have hundreds of them though.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
Don Wood's wood. I know it for a fact. :tongue:

Hard to tell from a scan. If your scanner allows you to scan 'objects' by
changing a setting, it will adjust the depth of field so it will be in focus on
more than just the bottom surface. That will allow people to see it better
and give you better info.

DonWood

Thanks so much everyone for your help. The concensus seems to be sycamore. If I can get a chance I will take a photo and repost. It does have a chatoyance to it also.

Anyway, I agree Daniel that I normally do not make a pen out of a piece of wood that I do not know what it is. However, my friend had this, and wanted me to make a pen for his wife out of it, so.........................

Well, take care everyone and have a wonderful Christmas.

Don

Top Bottom