Can Aluminum or copper rod be turned on wood lathe?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tazhunter0

Was wondering if aluminum or copper rod could be turned on a Jet 1014 Woodlathe? Need to turn down some small pieces about 1.5 inches long for a project. Do not have a metal lathe and a lathe would be faster then a grinder.

Thanks
Chris

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wyone

yes.. aluminum turns easily.. copper should as well.. although I have never tried it. I actually wanted to make a pen using copper rod, but the only I could find was very expensive and I was not nearly skilled enough at that point

monophoto

Sure.

But be careful - metal shavings are sharp, unlike wood. Never try to feel a rotating piece with your finger. And always wear eye protection. And I think it's a good idea to drape something over your bed ways to keep metal shavings away from the motor if it is mounted under the headstock end of the ways.

I found that carbide tools and scrapers work better than conventional gouges.

Charlie69

I turn small pieces of 6061 aluminum and 360 brass with HSS tools on my 1014 all the time.

Edit to add: I've never tried turning aluminum or brass with anything but HSS. I could see how carbide would be better. Didn't mean to sound contrary.

Last edited:

Dale Allen

Like Charlie I have turned 6061 alum and 360 brass without problems. Brass seems easier for me.
Copper....no so much. I cannot get it to smooth out the cut and I have tried HSS, carbide wood blades and a carbide made for metal.
Even pros with a metal lathe have issues with copper. It is best turned with a lubricant but that is difficult to do with a wood lathe.

Charlie69

Most aluminum and brass rodyou find at HD, Lowes, TrueValue and Ace will be 6061/360 respectively. Online metals sells it but their shipping charges can be brutal. EBay is a great source also with plenty of good deals and cheap shipping. 360 Brass is also called free machining Brass.

Curly

Do not have a metal lathe and a lathe would be faster then a grinder. Thanks Chris
DO NOT put aluminium, copper, or brass to a bench grinder. They will plug up the wheel and expand with heat. That results in the wheel exploding. Belt or disc sanders are okay but never a bench grinder. I would hate to learn you ate a chunk of wheel.

Last edited:

tazhunter0

Do not have a metal lathe and a lathe would be faster then a grinder. Thanks Chris
DO NOT put aluminium, copper, or brass to a bench grinder. They will plug up the wheel and expand with heat. That results in the wheel exploding. Belt or disc sanders are okay but never a bench grinder. I would hate to learn you ate a chunk of wheel.

Thanks for that info. Didn't know about that. Only got a elec hand grinder and a 12in disk sander. Trip to HD this afternoon.

BSea

I agree with the others on aluminum and brass. But copper is harder to turn, and can be kind of gummy. It's not easy on a metal lathe, so it may be really difficult on a wood lathe.

Top Bottom