Can 10k & 24k gold plating be mix & matched?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ossaguy

Hi All,

I was wondering what exactly is the differences between pen parts in 10k,vs.24k?

With my untrained rookie eye,I don't see the difference,.Is the 10k just a thicker plating?

The reason that I ask is can you use a decorative 10k band on a pen kit that comes in 24k,and have it still look right?

I know I've read that the 10k holds up to more wear & tear,and it costs a bit more.

Thanks for any insights!

Steve

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tim self

As long as the tint is correct, yes you can. Heck, even do it if it doesn't look good. JK. You are correct, it is simply the quality of the plating and wearability (sp).

Russianwolf

Ummm... no.

10k has a lot more alloy metals in it than 24k which has none. The color is very different between the two. Most actually do not like 24k as it is too "yellow".

Even inside 10k gold, you can get very different colors depending on which alloy metals are used and in what ratio. 10k yellow gold and 10k white gold contain the same ratio of gold, but the alloy metals are in different ratios leading one to be yellow (usually has Copper and Silver in it) and one to be silver (usually with Nickel or Paladium).

If you reduce the Silver and increase the Copper in 10k Yellow gold, you'll get 10k Rose Gold.

All contain the same amount of Gold, but the alloy metals effect the color.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Hi All,

I was wondering what exactly is the differences between pen parts in 10k,vs.24k?

With my untrained rookie eye,I don't see the difference,.Is the 10k just a thicker plating?

The reason that I ask is can you use a decorative 10k band on a pen kit that comes in 24k,and have it still look right?

I know I've read that the 10k holds up to more wear & tear,and it costs a bit more.

Thanks for any insights!

Steve

Most of the time the color won't match. 10K plating is a lot harder and wears better than 24K but most of the time will be a noticeably different shade of gold

ossaguy

So now I see what you guys are talking about,looking at the new kits and bands that came in the mail today from CSUSA.The 24K stuff is way more yellow-tinted than the 10k.The 10k almost has a silver tiint to it.

I can't believe that I didn't notice it before!

Thanks,
Steve

Top Bottom