Came to a screaching halt...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Marc Phillips

... until I can figure this out [xx(]

I have blown up 3 DIW blanks this morning... and nothing to show for it. I haven't ruined this many blanks in a years time, let alone in one morning!

Man, frustrating... I keep sharpening, and trying again... and Poof! ... off goes a chunk!

Guess I will just switch to another wood for now... no idea what the heck is going on... I have ruined 4 of these blanks now... and have only one pen to show for it...

Maybe it's just not a turning day for me...
confused-smiley-013.gif

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Buzz

What kits are they in? The only time I had a problem with multiple blow outs like that was when I drilled out caps of El Grande/Churchill kits with what was the recommended size bit, but which was in fact a fraction undersize. Rather than reaming out the blank with a file etc. I forced the tubes in and paid the price. These were Black Palm and as soon as I got near to finish size - away they went.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
WHERE is your CA?????

When you blow out the first one, the thin CA comes out and becomes PART of the turning process. Turn a little while, DOUSE blank in thin CA. Let dry.

Turn a little more, DOUSE blank in thin CA. Let dry.

Do you see a pattern forming?????

ANYONE can blow up ONE blank, but LEARN from it. (Unless you have LOTS of money, then, please buy your blanks from ME -- blow them up if you wish!!)

Seriously, the CA will reinforce the blank, but if you don't have a dust collector, you will soon see a good reason to install one. I DID>

Good Luck and good turning. I find it IS more fun when a PEN results.

Marc Phillips

Originally posted by ed4copies

WHERE is your CA?????

When you blow out the first one, the thin CA comes out and becomes PART of the turning process. Turn a little while, DOUSE blank in thin CA. Let dry.

Do you see a pattern forming?????

ANYONE can blow up ONE blank, but LEARN from it. (Unless you have LOTS of money, then, please buy your blanks from ME -- blow them up if you wish!!)

Seriously, the CA will reinforce the blank, but if you don't have a dust collector, you will soon see a good reason to install one. I DID>

Good Luck and good turning. I find it IS more fun when a PEN results.

Uh yeah... well, I use CA all the time, but this is my first experience with DIW and the wood seemed so tough and strong that CA didn't even seem like an option...

I will try it... seeing that I have had so many good results over the years I think maybe it is just trying to catch up with me all at once.

M

monkeynutz

DI is notorious for this. Works alot like Macassar Ebony. It is especially bad if your blanks are angle-cut or crosscut. Ed's suggestions are best... CA and light cuts with sharp skew. Don't even think of using any kind of scraping cut, particularly as you get nearer to the tubes. I have also had some luck with gluing the tubes in with polyurethane glue, as it dries with a bit of "give" to it.

Top Bottom