Cambridge kit from Woodcraft

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wright

I do not see a lot of Cambridge kits. Are they good quality and how hard are they to put together? I know one thing, they are very expensive. That may be the reason I don't see many of them. I guess the silver in them is the reason they are so expensive......

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Turned Around

i'm using one right now to fill out a PO at work. i like the overall kit. personally i prefer the antique looking finish. the only thing i will say i don't like is the black band on the cap that's visable. other than that, it's a nice kit. (and yes, expensive)

toddlajoie

My opinions, yours may varry:

The final thickness on the material is very thin, so acrylics need to be well painted on the inside, and any thing with any depth is out of the question. Wood needs to be glued in very well, as any spots that aren't secured may come off the tube.

They are basically the same as the ElGrande kits, and I know when I started making those, the drill bit they specified for the cap was just a hair too small, and I had a very difficult time getting those tubes in, so if you're looking at getting into these kits, check around before you buy the drill bits and be sure you get the right size...

In the end, I just wasn't a big fan of either the ElGrande or Cambridge in general...

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
i'm using one right now to fill out a PO at work. i like the overall kit. personally i prefer the antique looking finish. the only thing i will say i don't like is the black band on the cap that's visable. other than that, it's a nice kit. (and yes, expensive)

The new style Cambridge Hybrid has eliminated the black band.

The Penguin

are you sure?

Buy Cambridge Hybrid Sterling Silver and Woodcraft Gold Fountain Pen at Woodcraft

*edit...the Woodcraft "Cambridge Hybrid" shows a black band on the cap at the barrel joint...the Berea pics do not show the black band:

http://www.bereahardwoods.com/pen-kit/sets/Cambridge_Hybrid_Rollerball_Tit_Gold_Ster_Silver.html

Last edited:

Carl Fisher

The new style Cambridge that some of our vendors have in stock have no black band. I've done 2 of the new style now and love them. I think the woodcraft version still has the band and I'm guessing it will be that way until they sell through their stock (likely the reason for them being on sale this month)

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager

are you sure?

Buy Cambridge Hybrid Sterling Silver and Woodcraft Gold Fountain Pen at Woodcraft

*edit...the Woodcraft "Cambridge Hybrid" shows a black band on the cap at the barrel joint...the Berea pics do not show the black band:

Cambridge Hybrid™ Roller Ball(Tit.Gold Accents with Ster.Silver ) Pen Kit Making Supplies Berea HardWoods

Yes I AM certain. But IAP rules do not allow ME to show a link to the place where you can purchase them.

If you click on my signature, then use the search function at that site, you should see them!!
(Thank Roy for this idea---pretty good thinkin!!!)

The Penguin

maybe so...but the original question was about Cambridge kits at Woodcraft...

If I wanted them, I'm sure I could find a better/cheaper place to get them.

:wink:

Wright

Yes, this month at Woodcraft the Hybrid Cambridge is $28.47. I just wonder if they fixed the barrel fitting problem with the drill bit that the kit calls for? One of the barrel's after blank is drilled is almost impossible to fit. I read that on this forum.

MattTheHat

Wright said:
Yes, this month at Woodcraft the Hybrid Cambridge is $28.47. I just wonder if they fixed the barrel fitting problem with the drill bit that the kit calls for? One of the barrel's after blank is drilled is almost impossible to fit. I read that on this forum.

They must have. I've done several of them in the past few months and had absolutely no problems whatsoever.

-Matt

Top Bottom