Cambridge KIt???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Have a few Cambridge kit questions because I am thinking of getting a few of these high end kits. In the instructions on all sites and even the dealers including Exotics sells the 33/64" bit for the top. All the reviews I have read say that bit is too small and a 17/32 is needed. Does anyone who has made these have an opinion and if it is true where can I get this bit???

Second is there a way to either eliminate that black plastic center ring or make a new one to match the pen blank?? Has anyone done this and if so how did you do so?? It looks like that is what holds the center ring parts to the tube. Any opinions on this ???

Would love to see some photos as examples if possible. Thanks and have a great day.

PenMan1

Measure the OD of the black plastic ring. Drill a small cut off of the blank that size (seems like it was aroung 33/64). Again, using calipers, cut down a 3/4 inch maple dowel (oak dowel doesn't work as well, too uneven) until the drilled (grain matched) blank segment snugly fits onto the dowel. Put tape on either side of the blank segment to hold it in place and secure the dowel in a jacobs chuck or beall collet chuck on the lathe. Turn the ring to the same dimension as the upper barrel right at the top of the center band. Part off the ring at the correct width for your application. Attach the (mighty thin) ring over the black plastic ring, match the grain (critical for wood) then secure with 5 minute epoxy if necessary. The plastic ring has a good bit of flex, so if you drill the hole exactly ( I drill a little smaller and final dimension with a dremel sander), the epoxy should not be necessary.

This is not quick or easy, but IMHO, the trim ring gives back what this hidious black ring steals from this wonderful component set.

I'm sure there are other ways to do this. This is just "my way"

Respectfully submitted.

jttheclockman

Measure the OD of the black plastic ring. Drill a small cut off of the blank that size (seems like it was aroung 33/64). Again, using calipers, cut down a 3/4 inch maple dowel (oak dowel doesn't work as well, too uneven) until the drilled (grain matched) blank segment snugly fits onto the dowel. Put tape on either side of the blank segment to hold it in place and secure the dowel in a jacobs chuck or beall collet chuck on the lathe. Turn the ring to the same dimension as the upper barrel right at the top of the center band. Part off the ring at the correct width for your application. Attach the (mighty thin) ring over the black plastic ring, match the grain (critical for wood) then secure with 5 minute epoxy if necessary. The plastic ring has a good bit of flex, so if you drill the hole exactly ( I drill a little smaller and final dimension with a dremel sander), the epoxy should not be necessary.

This is not quick or easy, but IMHO, the trim ring gives back what this hidious black ring steals from this wonderful component set.

Respectfully submitted.

If I am reading this right, basically what you did was use the black ring but put a veneer trim piece on top of it???? Maybe I need to order some kits to get a feel for what is needed. Now I have to find a good best price source:)

PenMan1

Respectfully submitted.

If I am reading this right, basically what you did was use the black ring but put a veneer trim piece on top of it???? Maybe I need to order some kits to get a feel for what is needed. Now I have to find a good best price source:)

That's it in a nutshell! Much easier said than done, though. The final thickness of the ring is about .002 to .004. Be very carefull, especially with sanding.

As far the price. My experience has been (I buy a bucket load of these) is that they are within $.50 from one vendor to another. For me, it has come down to the vendor with the best and least expensive shipping.

If you find these kits (in FP) for less than $32 in quantities of 20, I would be interested (in a PM). All the vendors who I have bought them from charge $34 for one, or $34 for 20, so I buy them in small quantities from the vendor with two day shipping.

zig613

William-Wood-Write in Canada has them on sale until Saturday October 30th. Here is the infor...

Canadiana pen kits - 25+ price!

Fountain pen kits, all platings - $29.95, regular price $35.95 each.
Rollerball pen kits, all platings - $27.95, regular price $33.95 each.

http://www.penblanks.ca/home.php?cat=141

Wade

William-Wood-Write in Canada has them on sale until Saturday October 30th. Here is the infor...

Canadiana pen kits - 25+ price!

Fountain pen kits, all platings - $29.95, regular price $35.95 each.
Rollerball pen kits, all platings - $27.95, regular price $33.95 each.

http://www.penblanks.ca/home.php?cat=141

Wade

I need to place an order with Bill soon...if anyone Stateside would like some, send me a pm with amounts...shipping would be $10, no matter how many :cool:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
John and all others!!

Unfortunately, right now Exotics is "parroting back" the information that we have gotten from Berea--we have not yet had time to write our own instructions (YES, I WILL) nor evaluate their recommendations for drilling.

We have 44 pen types (mostly plating changes) that each require their own prices, discounts etc. On top of this, I was advised that my first effort (over 40 hours work) needed revision, so another 30 hours have been spent on this project.

While I clearly AM complaining---the real purpose is to let you know that we WILL be adjusting the recommended bits (I have used the 13.3mm and agree it is a nice fit) and then we will buy wholesale and have them available.

I do apologize for the delay in the "frills and extras". This project has gone much more slowly than I had hoped. But, we WILL Git-r-dun --- hopefully soon!!

Thanks to all for your patience!!

jttheclockman

OK

I have looked at a couple sites and I see the hybrids Cambridge kits which I am interested in state that the platings in use are Titananium gold and sterling silver. In the Woodcraft site they list the platings as "Woodcraft gold" and sterling silver. My question is there a difference and what is it??? Has anyone used their kits and is this the same kit??? Thanks

PenMan1

The Woodcraft set is the same as everyone else's. In fact they were the $.50 less ($.01 less on rollerball) that I mentioned in the earlier post. In my case, Woodcraft is in reality the MOST EXPENSIVE in my area because I must pay 7% sales tax and thier minimum shipping us also more than I usually pay.

jttheclockman

The Woodcraft set is the same as everyone else's. In fact they were the $.50 less ($.01 less on rollerball) that I mentioned in the earlier post. In my case, Woodcraft is in reality the MOST EXPENSIVE in my area because I must pay 7% sales tax and thier minimum shipping us also more than I usually pay.

They also have quantity discounts that noone else has so makes cheaper yet. With free shipping also make me want to try them.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Wood Craft has the pens made by Berea, yes.

HOWEVER, if they SAY Woodcraft gold, it probably IS Woodcraft gold (Berea upgrade gold). Why would they NOT mention TiGold???

Do what you wish, but don't read their ads then change their copy to comply with what you WISH it said.

FWIW

jttheclockman

Wood Craft has the pens made by Berea, yes.

HOWEVER, if they SAY Woodcraft gold, it probably IS Woodcraft gold (Berea upgrade gold). Why would they NOT mention TiGold???

Do what you wish, but don't read their ads then change their copy to comply with what you WISH it said.

FWIW

I called them and talked with a tech and his words were that it is titanium gold plated. He gave a hardness rating and mentioned these are the same kits. He does not know why that is not mentioned and why they call it woodcraft gold. This is the reason I asked the question if anyone has used them and have you run into any problems??? The price is basically the same as everyone else so there is not much difference there. If it were a lesser quality it should reflect in the price.

By the way they have a 20% off sale till the end of the month on certain kits. A Cambridge kit is one of them but the lesser kit.

DurocShark

I talked to them too. There are several Woodcraft kits listed as "Woodcraft Gold" that are actually TiN. And several that are just 10k with the clearcoat.

Nothing like vendors muddying up the water, huh?

jttheclockman

I talked to them too. There are several Woodcraft kits listed as "Woodcraft Gold" that are actually TiN. And several that are just 10k with the clearcoat.

Nothing like vendors muddying up the water, huh?

Yes and there is no need for that. Call it what it is. I guess I will see with time because I just placed an order. Sometimes you have to find out on your own.

All this different plating stuff drives one coocoo. Just like all these copper kits. It is copper with a clear coat. That wears off and there goes a beautiful looking kit. Copper is such a cool color on a kit. Oh well.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
IF anyone has Cambridge kits from Woodcraft, will you PM me, please with the code number.

Thanks--it's long but it will answer a question for me.
Much appreciated.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
The bag with the kit in it has a label. Sometimes that label has letters in it---those are the letters I am looking for.

When advertising and an employee say different things, I like to research and learn the CORRECT answer. Since advertising claims are covered by law...they usually prove more accurate. I have always found it is best not to take a position until I have confirmed one way or the other.

ctubbs

The bag with the kit in it has a label. Sometimes that label has letters in it---those are the letters I am looking for.

When advertising and an employee say different things, I like to research and learn the CORRECT answer. Since advertising claims are covered by law...they usually prove more accurate. I have always found it is best not to take a position until I have confirmed one way or the other.

Ed, you are one smart man. I wish I had your restraint!:wink:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager

thanks!!

Grandpa, who was about my present age when he died, always said, "Too soon old, too late schmardt!"

Maybe I'll get a few more "schmardt" years than he did.

jttheclockman

thanks!!

Grandpa, who was about my present age when he died, always said, "Too soon old, too late schmardt!"

Maybe I'll get a few more "schmardt" years than he did.

Hey listen before this takes a turn that I see it is, that is not my intention. Boy I tell you how things get misinterpreted. :mad:

We all know Ed sells kits such as these and that is fine. I asked a question and you see the replies I got. Not many so I have to make my my own conclusions. I am going on what was told me and that is all I can do. If you have a way to disprove these are not what was claimed that will be great ED we all can learn.

If anyone still has used the woodcraft Cambridge kit I would like to hear your opinions still

jttheclockman

I still see no one has come forward and said they used the Woodcraft Cambridge kits. I sure would like to hear from some people. My question is in the plating. Is it the same as the other Cambridge kits out there from Berea. Who makes Berea kits????

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Berea kits are made in Taiwan FOR Berea. Jim (who owns Berea-I've known him to be the owner since about 1995) has a "partner" in Taiwan who runs manufacturing lines for Jim. I consider some of our conversations confidential, but I can say Jim's commitment to creating consistent quality kits is the reason I chose Berea for the kits we are selling on Exotics.

As to the gold, I now know the answer, but some prefer to ignore facts. I can't be bothered with those who question my knowledge or veracity. I have made a reputation selling HONESTLY and making statements ONLY when I know the correct answer. So, if you prefer to accept others' answers---enjoy!!

Cambridge pens sold by Woodcraft have WCG in their product code WCG=Wood Craft Gold.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
I visited my Woodcraft yesterday and Ed is exactly correct. Their Cambridge (and several other higher end components) is labeled WCG. Now I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing...or maybe it's purple...but it's not gold titanium. I haven't experimented with WCG because I have had such good success with gold titanium.

jttheclockman

In case anyone else is interested, I found this in their catalog. Without being a metalurgist(sp) I don't know the difference. I guess I will keep the kits and give them a try and see how the customers take to them.

Woodcraft catalog page 140 (I can't seem to put a link to it) Sorry

Thanks for the info.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Wood Craft defines "Woodcraft Gold" as follows:

"A high-tech titanium gold plating process, which has a Rockwell hardness of approximately 85, provides an extremely hard, durable base for our heavy 24kt gold plating."

This allows you to read whichever half appeals to you.
JT could be correct---it could be TiGold and Wood Craft just chooses to call it something different.

So, John is NOT incorrect in his statement that it has titanium---AND I am correct in my statement it IS Woodcraft Gold, which woodcraft states is 24 kt.--as I understand 24kt, it has to be PURE gold.

Pick the definition you like.

ldb2000

I don't know if the woodcraft kits are just an upgrade gold or true Ti gold so why not just buy them from Berea who sells them as "Titanium Gold" to be sure of what you are getting .
As for price Woodcraft even with a 20% discount and free shipping is still about $15 more expensive then Berea shipped for an order of 25 pieces .

jttheclockman

Here is what Berea says and is posted on Bill's site at AZ. Everyone can make their own choice I guess. I just asked a question and di not want to start any sales wars. I am satisfied for now. Thanks everyone once again.

Berea Hardwoods Pen Kits Are Different
by Mr. Jim Heusinger, President, Berea Hardwoods, Inc.
The Berea Hardwoods pen kits are not the same as the "discount' kits, generic kits or kits for people on a budget. All of these terms are very often used as a nice way of saying poorly made and/or inferior kits. Berea Hardwoods makes every attempt to offer kits that are well engineered, designed and plated.

"It would be very easy for us to cheapen the kits and sell them at a lower price. There are many ways to do this such as using a cheap tumbler 24k "epoxy" coated plating or to use less durable twist mechanisms or to put less ink in our refills or use cheap center rings, clips, etc.

Superior Plating

When we use 24k plating we use an upgraded 24k gold "rack" plating where each part in individually plated on a 'plating tree'. We offer a wide range of superior platings such as titanium gold, black titanium, real platinum, heavy sterling silver and chrome.

jttheclockman

I don't know if the woodcraft kits are just an upgrade gold or true Ti gold so why not just buy them from Berea who sells them as "Titanium Gold" to be sure of what you are getting .
As for price Woodcraft even with a 20% discount and free shipping is still about $15 more expensive then Berea shipped for an order of 25 pieces .

Butch where could I have gotten those from?? Would be interested for next time. Thanks.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
True enough

Wood Craft defines "Woodcraft Gold" as follows:

"A high-tech titanium gold plating process, which has a Rockwell hardness of approximately 85, provides an extremely hard, durable base for our heavy 24kt gold plating."

This allows you to read whichever half appeals to you.
JT could be correct---it could be TiGold and Wood Craft just chooses to call it something different.

So, John is NOT incorrect in his statement that it has titanium---AND I am correct in my statement it IS Woodcraft Gold, which woodcraft states is 24 kt.--as I understand 24kt, it has to be PURE gold.

Pick the definition you like.
Could also be taken to claim that it is 24kt gold over TI gold....which is the way I read it.

Top Bottom