Cambridge Hybrid A or B Mandrel?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

renowb

A customer wants a Cambridge hybrid FP. I see where the bushings are B size and the mandrel is B size. I have to buy a B mandrel to make this pen? Any body have any ideas?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimMc7

I use Cambridge TBC bushings from johnnycnc. I have an old B mandrel and Cambridge bushings you can have if you can use them. Mandrel MT adapter isn't included but will work if you have either (1) an adapter which accepts 1/4" X 28 threaded rod or (2) collet or similar chuck to hold the rod (B mandrel is 0.2875" diameter).

PM your address if you can use it.

Attachments

• IMG_9061.jpg
    IMG_9061.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:

Rick_G

For pen styles I make a lot of I get JohnnyCNC's bushings for that pen. For a one of or a style I'm not sure of I put the regular bushings between centers (no mandrel needed) and turn close to the bushings. For that last little bit I will take the bushings off putting the blank between centers and sand to size using a micrometer and the actual fittings.

For a couple I knew I was only going to make 1 or 2 of I put the blank between centers and turned it down. More sanding this way but for a 1 or 2 of it saves a few bucks on bushings.

renowb

I think the ones at woodcraft.com are A

That;s what confused me. I made one before from Woodcraft with my A mandrel and bushings. I saw on other websites that it took a B mandrel and bushings! It confused me. I really need to get into the TBC!

JimMc7

No difference in fitting diameters between standard & hybrid Cambridge kits in my experience so your Woodcraft bushings (16A?) should work fine.

Top Bottom