Calligraphy nibs

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rochester

I have a customer who would like a calligraphy pen. Where is the best source for nibs and instructions on turning this pen? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Dale Pace (rochester)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Try a pm to Penworks (Anthony). I would think he is the best resource we have for Calligraphy nibs and pens.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
CS USA carries calligraphy nibs that will fit the "Juniors" (fountain pens) as well as the Baron from Arizona Silhouette. If your friend is looking for a dip pen, search the forum. There are several, including me, who have made them.

PenWorks

As Lou said, does your client want a fountain pen or a dip pen?
Both can have a calligraphy nib, but both very different.

PenWorks

Here is a link for a dip pen
http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=4861&whichpage=1&SearchTerms=dip,pen

You can turn one with or without a 7mm tube.I use a 7mm tube now for most of mine.
If you can't get your hands on that little steel fitting, a piece of wood or a pencil eraser will hold the steel nib.You can find a bunch of steel speedball and other type dip pen nibs on Ebay for cheap.

You can do them out of resins as well.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Tony's method is here http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=4861 . I just take a long blank (7"-8") and drill a 1/4" hole in one end (about an inch deep). Grip one end in a 4-jaw chuck and pull up your live center. Turn it round (or any shape you prefer), finish as you would a longwood or closed end pen and part off each end. Do your touch up finishing on each end. I use Speedball nibs, so they just push into the hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom