caligraphy pen HELP!!!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Angino

ok this is my first try at a pen like this. I bought the kit at woodcraft. I have a set up for 7mm slimlines how do I convert my set up for the 3/8 calighraphy pen? I couldnt find any books or website referances to help me with this. So I turn to you all the people in the feild. If anyone has a website that shows how to set up the bushings and all that. That would be great. I just blew a 15.00 pen kit and the wood, trying to just do it and figure it out. So now i turn to you.

Thanks,
Angino

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

HuskyDriver

Go to Woodcraft.com and enter the part number on your pen kit bag in the search field. It should bring you to a page with your type of pen on it. The page will have a link to a .pdf file which is the instructions for that pen. They should also have a link for the type of bushings and drill size needed. Hope this helps.

Greg

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Angino, if you are going to ask for help on a kit, we need to know what model kit it is, either by name or part number from the supplier... Woodcraft generally resells the Berea kits at a much higher price than you can get them from Berea direct. Not only that by they do not carry all the plating options that Berea has.
They should have given you a direction sheet with the pen kit. If this is a kit you have never made before you will also need to buy the bushing set made for the kit... each style of kit has it's own bushings.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
William--if you have selected a fountain pen, converting it to a calligraphy pen will be quite a challenging undertaking. There are only a few pens from any of our manufacturers where we can purchase a calligraphy nib. They include the Baron from www.arizonasilhouette.com , the regular and Junior Gentleman and Statesman along with the Emporer from www.woodturnerscatalog.com , the Navigator from www.beartoothwoods.com or www.woodcraft.com . Adjusting other kits to accept a calligraphic nib will involve custom design and re-engineering. There are a number of people on the site, Anthony (PenWorks) for one, who have made great strides in this area but at a great investment of time and effort.

leatherjunkie

Angino

from your discription, it sounds like you purchased the "classic american rollerball/fountain pen kit"
first thing you need to do is get a notebook with lots of of those plastic sleaves. then go to the woodcraft website and print out the directions for this kit.
store all of your pen kit directions in the notebook and keep it with your lathe.
on the kit you purchased you will need the bushings that go to that kit. also need the right size drill bits, correct size barrel trimer shaft.
on this kit you will also need to part off about 1/4" of wood on the top blank. part off all the way to the brass tube.
i have found on this kit that it works better to part off 1/16" less than what the directions call for. i found this out because the brass tube sticks into the screw area when i part off exactly what the directions call for.

this link is the kit i think you purchased. it also has the directions.
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?DeptID=1011&FamilyID=1561

TomServo

That looks like the Berea Flat Top American FP - if yours has screw threads, and the barrels are both the same length, then it is the series 2000 version of that pen. You need a letter O drill bit (3/8" will work, but you want to use epoxy or polyurethane for the barrel) a "B" mandrel and 2B bushings (or the woodcraft bushings, which fit a 7mm mandrel). If you go by Berea's directions (I never did read BB's) you're supposed to tenon off ~1/8" at the bottom of the cap. I've made a dozen or two of these pens, and I like the kit very much..

On another note: woodcraft used to sell calligraphy nibs in the 'standard' type (ie not emperor size nibs).. if you need proof I have one, unused.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom