Caligraphy Pen Barrel - Updates with Pics

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

KKingery

Hey all, I got a new request from one of my wifes co-workers today. He does that fancy caligraphy writing, and uses several of these special tips and ink cartridges. He wants to know if I can make him barrels, that these can screw up into. This is a pic of the tip & cartridge, with some basic dimensions that I took.

200531933917_Caligraphy%20Tip.jpg

I turned a rough first attempt tonight, with the expected "first attempt" results. I used a piece of Teak, bored 4-1/2 inches through, using an "S" bit. I then inserted the 1st & 4th bushings from a cigar set (great fit) as he does'nt want tubes inserted in these. After turning, I tapped out for the threads, and got a decent fit.

My concern: with no tubes, what would you recommend for "strengthing" the barrels? The man prefers no tubes in these as they need to be light as a feather for this type of writing. I was thinking of a few coats of CA inside the barrels, and using the BLO/CA finish outside.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Here are 2 prototypes I came up with. They are made from Poplar and Cocobolo. The first pic is Poplar - made to 4 inches in length.

200532121639_Poplar%20Caligraphy%20Pen%20Barrel.jpg

This pic is made from Cocobolo, to a shorter length of 3 inches.

200532121723_Cocobolo%20Caligraphy%20Pen%20Barrel.jpg

And finally, all 3 pieces together. They were both made with no tubes, drilled using an "S" bit, and turned to a cigar end size. BLO/CA finish on both, and re-enforced with CA inside.

200532121835_Caligraphy%20Pen%20Barrels.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

btboone

Ken, I agree that CA can help the strength. Another thing to consider; there are thin aluminum tubes out there. One would be around half the weight of brass.

wayneis

Ken I really don't think that a tube would add much weight. Another thing is the acrylics or celluloids, they could be turned and tapped. Other wise I would at least coat the inside with CA and then whatever you choose for the outside.

Wayne

KKingery

Well, personally - I don't think the tubes would make that much difference either,- but - those were his instructions. I think I'll make him up 3 or 4 "test" barrels, with & without tubes, and then let him use each for a week or so. Since I know nothing about caligraphy, I honestly don't know if his "weight" reasoning is valid or not. I'm just afraid that without good re-enforcement, or tubes, that these barrels stand a real good chance of meeting an early demise.

JimGo

Ken,
I would consider a very SHORT tube, probably aluminum like Bruce suggested. Something long enough for the threads to take, but not even long enough to add any additional weight. Drill the whole thing out as you suggested above, with a slightly larger bit to allow the shortened tube to basically be flush with the larger hole. That should give you the strength you want at the joint where the pieces fit, which is likely to be where most of the stress is incurred (at least WRT the wood; the area around the tip is likely to see the most stress, IMHO).

Good luck, and as always, please post your results!

PenWorks

Ken, in the woodworkers pencils I make, they have no tubes, I also make several pens in wood and resin with no tubes. I never had any problems with them. I used my regular finish, Enduro, friction or just buff. Good Luck with it.

Anthony

woodscavenger

I am not sure you need the tubes. If you get a good threading fit then most of this guys finger/hand pressure will likely be very near the nib on the plastic section. I doubt he is going to be doing any whit knuckle gripping to do the flowing style of caligraphy.

btboone

Ken, a good source of stuff like that aluminum tubing is www.smallparts.com It might need to be a weird size, and if so, you might be able to get a ball bearing or a turned metal plug of the correct size and push it into a slightly smaller tube to get the ID just right.

The parts in the picture appear to be brass. If those parts were brass, there's a good place to reduce weight; replace those with plastic or aluminum.

KKingery

That's not brass Bruce. That gold looking piece is the ink cartridge (plastic). I turned a 2nd prototype today, that looks like it's going to work. I used a scrap of Poplar, turned to a cigar end size. Put on a CA finish, and then coated the inside of the barrel with CA to strengthen it. I cut the threads into the CA after it dried, and it gives a nice snug fit. I'll post a pic later tonight. Now I just gotta figure out something for a top cap.

woodscavenger

If weight is really an issue (reading the brass vs. aluminum vs. no tubes) then I think that putting a cigar cap on the end wipes out any savings you will have in weight. Those caps are fairly hefty. I think if you want light weight you might try for a closed end style like we saw posted on a really cool FP a week or two ago. Similar to a desk pen. It would be light and you could turn a really cool design on the end of it as well. Just my 2 cents. Otherwise I think they look great!

In the first photo you indicated that the thread was .372". Did that turn out to be a standard 3/8" thread and you can use a good old American tap to cut the threads in the barrel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom