CAglue question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

aggromere

I now get all my glue from Monty. I do have a couple of questions though. The glues come with a rating or something called cps. For example, one type of medium CA says 100cps and another says 300 cps. I'm sure that is important, but I don't know why. I have a large bottle of each.

Also, he sells some "rubberized" CA it is black. I have some of that as well, but not a clue what I would use it for. Anyone know?

Although I don't use accelerator on my CA finishes he sells an accelerator and a mild accelerator. Would the mild be better for use when applying a CA finish, assuming you would use the accelerator for that purpose?

Thanks. sorry, I'm going through one of my gotta ask questions phase again!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hasha2000

CA comes in different viscosities so it can be used for a variety of applications. All Mercury products have the scientific viscosities rating right in the name.

should this stuff be used?

nativewooder

CA Glue

IIRC, the cps rating tells us how fast the glue cures. Thin CA is 5 cps, Med. is 100 cps, etc. There are slower cures in each category but they are special order items according to his site. I need to order more myself but I have to have a funeral for the two bottles that turned solid this summer in my shop. I knew better but I was working with some punky wood last spring and I left it in the shop all summer. It was hotter than h#** in there.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Tim, Mercury is the name of the company. There is no mercury in cyanoacrylate. Also, there is no cyanide. The cyano portion of the word describes the fact that a carbon atom is triple bonded to a nitrogen atom in the compound.

CA comes in different viscosities so it can be used for a variety of applications. All Mercury products have the scientific viscosities rating right in the name.

hasha2000

Tim, Mercury is the name of the company. There is no mercury in cyanoacrylate. Also, there is no cyanide. The cyano portion of the word describes the fact that a carbon atom is triple bonded to a nitrogen atom in the compound.

Ooh ok... Thanks:redface:

Sylvanite

Would the mild be better for use when applying a CA finish, assuming you would use the accelerator for that purpose?
I prefer to use the regular accelerator when applying a CA finish. I find that the "mild" accelerator is more prone to foaming.

The mild accelerator, however, is useful when gluing something that has been powdercoated. Regular accelerator has a high acetone content which damages powder paint, as well as many other finishes and plastics. The mild is less likely to harm a cured finish.

Regards,
Eric

aggromere

So for a really thick CA finish I would use peanut butter CA? 250,000 cps. Those were very useful links. Thanks for the input.

Last edited:

IPD_Mrs

Would the mild be better for use when applying a CA finish, assuming you would use the accelerator for that purpose?
I prefer to use the regular accelerator when applying a CA finish. I find that the "mild" accelerator is more prone to foaming.

The mild accelerator, however, is useful when gluing something that has been powdercoated. Regular accelerator has a high acetone content which damages powder paint, as well as many other finishes and plastics. The mild is less likely to harm a cured finish.

Regards,
Eric

Here is the interesting thing about the CA accelorants. The E-Z Bond standard has acetone in it. The mild does not. The mild formula is very close to that of the Zip Kicker by Pacer. Acetone is also used to remove CA. My main customer base in our hardware store are people who restore antique furniture. They love the thin CA for chair rungs on antique chairs. Beats the heck out of knocking a chair apart and re-gluing the old fashion way. 99% of these folks will not use the standard E-Z Bond accelerator because the acetone will break down and cloud the finish on the wood when exposed. They don't have this problem when they use the mild or the Zip Kicker.

Last edited:

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Mike,
That's an interesting use in regluing chair rungs.
I will also point out thet the mild accelerator is used in model making where the regular will melt styrofoam and other plastics.
As for the rubberized, it is normally used where you might want a little "flex" in the glue joint. mI have found it useful when doing insets in blanks where the line may not be perfect. It hides the tube very well with a black line.

Sylvanite

99% of these folks will not use the standard E-Z Bond accelerator because the acetone will break down and cloud the finish on the wood when exposed. They don't have this problem when they use the mild or the Zip Kicker.
I think we're saying pretty much the same thing. When using accelerator to promote a glue set, and you don't want to damage an existing finish, use an acetone-free (a.k.a. mild) accelerator.

When building up a CA finish, however, that isn't an issue. If you slather on a really thick coat, and then hit it with accelerator, CA will foam - no matter which accelerator you use. Really thin layers will not foam - again with either accelerator. Somewhere in the middle (say the amount of medium CA that will spread evenly with the lathe spinning), I've found that accelerator with acetone (EZ-Bond regular) is less apt to cause foaming than accelerator without acetone (EZ-Bond mild).

Regards,
Eric

IPD_Mrs

Yes we are Eric, I just find it interesting that the same chemical they use to break down and clean up CA is also in the product used to activate it. I guess it is kind of like using water to make mud and water to clean it up.

toddlajoie

The only thing I've ever used the rubberized glue for is fixing the soles of my shoes, and I have to say it is perfect for that. The parts that I glued together NEVER separated again while other parts politely asked to be glued together also...

Interesting info on the accelerators, I had heard people talk about mild and regular, but never knew the difference...

Top Bottom