CA and WB laquer Finish Comparison

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

William Young

I made a couple of cigar pens this afternoon and wanted to try CA again as a finish. The bocote one at the top is CA finish and the bottom rosewood one is WB laquer finish.
I managed to get the CA to develop a finish on the top one after a few tries but it never did get a half decent shine so I had to use friction polish to brighten it up.
Then I tried the rosewood one with CA and after it not working right for me after several tries I sanded it down to bare wood again and put a WB laquer finish on it. The laquer left the shine just as it is shown. It is directly off the lathe with no polish finish whatesoever. I don't like to put any wax or polish right away on a laquer finish because I feel that it should have at least 24 hours to properly cure without being sealed off to outside air by a top coat. That one has a glass clear finish and the only reason I may put a little wax on it later would be to help protect the gold plated parts.
On that one I didn't even bother to get the spray gun out for just one pen. I just used a 1" foam brush and it did't take any longer to get the desired finish than it did for the CA one.
I doubt if I will try CA again as a finish . I know that WB laquer makes a very tough long lasting finish that is not affected by body oils and chemicals and that is all I could ever expect from a finish.
I think CA is also an excellent finish for those that prefer that method and have masterd the many ways of applying it.
W.Y.
68444952.jpg

baldysm

I have come to the same conclusion. I have not been able to get CA to shine as much as I want. I did see a tip that I will try tomorrow to see if that helps.

I usually only get a satin finish with CA and that is not real consistent finish.

William Young

Scott;
I think the guys that are using CA are buffing with Beall or similar systems after applying the finish.
With the WB laquer it is extremely shiny right off the lathe and does not require any shine enhancing steps . If any , the shine needs to be reduced a little and I find that ordinary Johnsons paste wax applied by and polished by hand will knock it back just enough to remove the "wet" look and at the same time it provides a little protection to the 24K plating.
W.Y.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom