CA for tubes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RegisG

I've been using thick CA to glue in my tubes. Up to now, I've drilled, glued in, and waited until next day to square & turn. I have accelerator but, I'm not sure if it just reaches the ends or does it somehow penetrate and dry the whole length.
If you are using CA and accelerator, how long do you wait and let dry?

Thanks,
Regis

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimB

I use thick CA but not accelerator. You should not expect the accelerator to penetrate like that. I generally glue tubes in batches so I am not turning them the same day. If you don't wait there is definitely a higher risk of the tubes coming loose.

Skie_M

I use the same Harbor Freight Super Glue (it's pretty thin stuff) and start turning around 20 minutes later. I occasionally use their Super Glue Gel for when I need to fill a gap due to an oversized hole, though. Still wait around 20 minutes.

farmer

I've been using thick CA to glue in my tubes. Up to now, I've drilled, glued in, and waited until next day to square & turn. I have accelerator but, I'm not sure if it just reaches the ends or does it somehow penetrate and dry the whole length.
If you are using CA and accelerator, how long do you wait and let dry?

Thanks,
Regis

Everything I do is in pieces when getting glued together .
Its like stacking washers and spacers on a tube.

I want time to make adjustments ....
I use slow drying marine epoxy if its wood
12 to 24 hour drying time.
I don't advise using epoxy on plastics or phenolic.

Last edited:

keithbyrd

I use thick CA and usually wait overnight to turn but probably 20% of the time I turn it within a couple of hours - I use accelerator to get a quick set on the end so the tube won't slide around.

eranox

I know this is the wrong answer, but I use thick CA, a squirt of accelerator on each end, and I turn a few minutes later. I have so far had no problems.

I strongly suspect that only the ends of the barrels are cured when I turn. Still, I can tell no difference, and the finished product comes out the same either way. It's probably not the "right" way to do it, but it's always worked for me.

Chasper

I use thick CA and accelerator, then wait five minutes. In reality I normally wait longer because I usually glue 30-50 pen sections, then start squaring the ends. The first of the batch to be glued have waited longer than 5 minutes, but I have often squared ends in five minutes or less after gluing.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I use medium CA, no accelerator & usually wait at least 24 hours before squaring & turning.

If I do have to do same day turning, I wait at least an hour & try not to get to aggressive.

Top Bottom